We have N coins which need to arrange in form of a triangle, i.e. first row will have 1 coin, second row will have 2 coins and so on, we need to tell maximum height which we can achieve by using these N coins.
Input : N = 7 Output : 3 Maximum height will be 3, putting 1, 2 and then 3 coins. It is not possible to use 1 coin left. Input : N = 12 Output : 4 Maximum height will be 4, putting 1, 2, 3 and 4 coins, it is not possible to make height as 5, because that will require 15 coins.
This problem can be solved by finding a relation between height of the triangle and number of coins. Let maximum height is H, then total sum of coin should be less than N,
Sum of coins for height H <= N H*(H + 1)/2 <= N H*H + H – 2*N <= 0 Now by Quadratic formula (ignoring negative root) Maximum H can be (-1 + √(1 + 8N)) / 2 Now we just need to find the square root of (1 + 8N) for which we can use Babylonian method of finding square root
Below code is implemented on above stated concept,
This article is contributed by Utkarsh Trivedi. If you like GeeksforGeeks and would like to contribute, you can also write an article using contribute.geeksforgeeks.org or mail your article to email@example.com. See your article appearing on the GeeksforGeeks main page and help other Geeks.
Please write comments if you find anything incorrect, or you want to share more information about the topic discussed above.
- Minimum height of a triangle with given base and area
- Find the height of a right-angled triangle whose area is X times its base
- Maximum height of triangular arrangement of array values
- Maximum path sum in a triangle.
- Maximum path sum in an Inverted triangle | SET 2
- Maximum Perimeter Triangle from array
- Maximum sum of a path in a Right Number Triangle
- Maximum area of triangle having different vertex colors
- Maximum number of 2x2 squares that can be fit inside a right isosceles triangle
- Maximum number of squares that can fit in a right angle isosceles triangle
- Biggest Reuleaux Triangle within a Square which is inscribed within a Right angle Triangle
- Biggest Reuleaux Triangle inscribed within a Square inscribed in an equilateral triangle
- Radius of the circle when the width and height of an arc is given
- Sierpinski triangle
- Find all angles of a given triangle
Improved By : vt_m