Given two positive integers A and B. Let’s define D such that B AND D = D. The task is to maximize the expression A XOR D.
Input: A = 11 B = 4 Output: 15 Take D = 4 as (B AND D) = (4 AND 4) = 4. Also, (A XOR D) = (11 XOR 4) = 15 which is the maximum according to the given condition. Input: A = 9 and B = 13 Output: 13
Naive approach: Since B AND D = D, D will always be smaller than or equal to B. Hence, one can run a loop from 1 to B and check whether the given conditions are satisfied or not.
Efficient approach: Instead of running a loop and checking for each D, the maximum value of the expression (A XOR D) can be easily calculated using Bit Manipulation techniques.
Let’s take an example to understand the way to approach the problem:
A = 11 = 1011, B = 14 = 1110 Let's assume D = abcd in base 2 notation B AND D: 1110 A XOR D: 1011 abcd abcd ------ ------ abcd ???? At 0th place: (0 AND d) = d implies d = 0 At 1st place: (1 AND c) = c implies c = 0, 1 but to maximize (A XOR D), take c = 0 At 2nd place: (1 AND b) = b implies b = 0, 1 but to maximize (A XOR D), take b = 1 At 3rd place: (1 AND a) = a implies a = 0, 1 but to maximize (A XOR D), take a = 0 Hence, D = 0100 = 4 and maximum value of (A XOR D) = (11 XOR 4) = 15.
Below is the implementation of the above approach:
- Maximize the expression (A AND X) * (B AND X) | Bit Manipulation
- Array Manipulation and Sum
- Bit manipulation | Swap Endianness of a number
- Bits manipulation (Important tactics)
- Winner in the Rock-Paper-Scissor game using Bit manipulation
- Maximize the value of x + y + z such that ax + by + cz = n
- Print the balanced bracket expression using given brackets
- Find a permutation of 2N numbers such that the result of given expression is exactly 2K
- Find the minimum value of the given expression over all pairs of the array
- Maximize the number of subarrays with XOR as zero
- Maximize the bitwise OR of an array
- Maximize big when both big and small can be exchanged
- Find minimum value of the expression by choosing K elements from given array
- Maximize the number by flipping at most K bits
- Maximize distance between any two consecutive 1's after flipping M 0's
- Maximize jobs that can be completed under given constraint
- Maximize the number of palindromic Strings
- Maximize the total profit of all the persons
- Maximize the number of sum pairs which are divisible by K
- Maximize the number by rearranging bits
If you like GeeksforGeeks and would like to contribute, you can also write an article using contribute.geeksforgeeks.org or mail your article to email@example.com. See your article appearing on the GeeksforGeeks main page and help other Geeks.
Please Improve this article if you find anything incorrect by clicking on the "Improve Article" button below.