Given a number maximize it by swapping bits at it’s extreme positions i.e. at first and last position, second and second last position and so on.
Input : 4 (0000...0100) Output : 536870912 (0010...0000) In the above example swapped 3rd and 3rd last bit to maximize the given unsigned number. Input : 12 (00000...1100) Output : 805306368 (0011000...0000) In the above example 3rd and 3rd last bit and 4th and 4th last bit are swapped to maximize the given unsigned number.
1. Convert the number into it’s bit representation and store it’s bit representation in an array.
2. Traverse the array from both ends, if the less significant bit of the bit representation is greater than the more significant bit i.e. if less significant bit is 1 and more significant bit is 0 then swap them else take no action.
3. Convert the obtained binary representation back to the number.
1. Create a copy of the original number because the original number would be modified, iteratively obtain the bits at the extreme positions.
2. If less significant bit is 1 and more significant bit is 0 then swap the bits in the bit from only, continue the process until less significant bit’s position is less than more significant bit’s position.
3. Display the maximized number.
This article is contributed by Aditya Gupta. If you like GeeksforGeeks and would like to contribute, you can also write an article using contribute.geeksforgeeks.org or mail your article to email@example.com. See your article appearing on the GeeksforGeeks main page and help other Geeks.
Please write comments if you find anything incorrect, or you want to share more information about the topic discussed above.
Don’t stop now and take your learning to the next level. Learn all the important concepts of Data Structures and Algorithms with the help of the most trusted course: DSA Self Paced. Become industry ready at a student-friendly price.
- Write an Efficient Method to Check if a Number is Multiple of 3
- Find the Number Occurring Odd Number of Times
- Write an Efficient C Program to Reverse Bits of a Number
- Count set bits in an integer
- Count number of bits to be flipped to convert A to B
- Rotate bits of a number
- Compute modulus division by a power-of-2-number
- Find whether a given number is a power of 4 or not
- Add 1 to a given number
- Next higher number with same number of set bits
- Program to count number of set bits in an (big) array
- Count total set bits in all numbers from 1 to n
- Swap bits in a given number
- Binary representation of a given number
- Swap all odd and even bits
- Check if a number is multiple of 9 using bitwise operators
- How to turn off a particular bit in a number?
- Check if binary representation of a number is palindrome
- Toggle all the bits of a number except k-th bit.
- Calculate square of a number without using *, / and pow()