Matplotlib is a comprehensive library for creating static, animated, and interactive visualizations in Python. It is used for plotting various plots in Python like scatter plot, bar charts, pie charts, line plots, histograms, 3-D plots and many more. We will learn about the scatter plot from the matplotlib library.
Note: For more informstion, refer to Python Matplotlib – An Overview
Scatter plots are used to observe relationship between variables and uses dots to represent the relationship between them. The scatter() method in the matplotlib library is used to draw a scatter plot. Scatter plots are widely used to represent relation among variables and how change in one affects the other.
The syntax for scatter() method is given below:
matplotlib.pyplot.scatter(x_axis_data, y_axis_data, s=None, c=None, marker=None, cmap=None, vmin=None, vmax=None, alpha=None, linewidths=None, edgecolors=None)
The scatter() method takes in the following parameters:
- x_axis_data- An array containing x-axis data
- y_axis_data- An array containing y-axis data
- s- marker size (can be scalar or array of size equal to size of x or y)
- c- color of sequence of colors for markers
- marker- marker style
- cmap- cmap name
- linewidths- width of marker border
- edgecolor- marker border color
- alpha- blending value, between 0 (transparent) and 1 (opaque)
Except x_axis_data and y_axis_data all other parameters are optional and their default value is None. Below are the scatter plot examples with various parameters.
Example 1: This is the most basic example of a scatter plot.
Example 2: Scatter plot with different shape and colour for two datasets.
- Important differences between Python 2.x and Python 3.x with examples
- Python | Set 4 (Dictionary, Keywords in Python)
- Python | Sort Python Dictionaries by Key or Value
- Python | Merge Python key values to list
- Reading Python File-Like Objects from C | Python
- Python | Add Logging to a Python Script
- Python | Add Logging to Python Libraries
- Python | Visualizing O(n) using Python
- Python | Index of Non-Zero elements in Python list
- Python | Convert list to Python array
- MySQL-Connector-Python module in Python
- Python - Read blob object in python using wand library
- Python | PRAW - Python Reddit API Wrapper
- twitter-text-python (ttp) module - Python
- Reusable piece of python functionality for wrapping arbitrary blocks of code : Python Context Managers
- Python program to check if the list contains three consecutive common numbers in Python
- Creating and updating PowerPoint Presentations in Python using python - pptx
- How to write an empty function in Python - pass statement?
- Operator Functions in Python | Set 2
If you like GeeksforGeeks and would like to contribute, you can also write an article using contribute.geeksforgeeks.org or mail your article to firstname.lastname@example.org. See your article appearing on the GeeksforGeeks main page and help other Geeks.
Please Improve this article if you find anything incorrect by clicking on the "Improve Article" button below.