Matplotlib is one of the most popular Python packages used for data visualization. It is a cross-platform library for making 2D plots from data in arrays. Pyplot is a collection of command style functions that make matplotlib work like MATLAB. Each pyplot function makes some change to a figure: e.g., creates a figure, creates a plotting area in a figure, plots some lines in a plotting area, decorates the plot with labels, etc.
A legend is an area describing the elements of the graph. In the matplotlib library, there’s a function called legend() which is used to Place a legend on the axes.
The attribute Loc in
legend() is used to specify the location of the legend.Default value of loc is loc=”best” (upper left). The strings ‘upper left’, ‘upper right’, ‘lower left’, ‘lower right’ place the legend at the corresponding corner of the axes/figure.
The attribute bbox_to_anchor=(x, y) of legend() function is used to specify the coordinates of the legend, and the attribute ncol represents the number of columns that the legend has.It’s default value is 1.
matplotlib.pyplot.legend([“blue”, “green”], bbox_to_anchor=(0.75, 1.15), ncol=2)
The Following are some more attributes of function
- shadow: [None or bool] Whether to draw a shadow behind the legend.It’s Default value is None.
- markerscale: [None or int or float] The relative size of legend markers compared with the originally drawn ones.The Default is None.
- numpoints: [None or int] The number of marker points in the legend when creating a legend entry for a Line2D (line).The Default is None.
- fontsize: The font size of the legend.If the value is numeric the size will be the absolute font size in points.
- facecolor: [None or “inherit” or color] The legend’s background color.
- edgecolor: [None or “inherit” or color] The legend’s background patch edge color.
Ways to use legend() function in Python –
- Important differences between Python 2.x and Python 3.x with examples
- Python | Set 4 (Dictionary, Keywords in Python)
- Python | Sort Python Dictionaries by Key or Value
- Python | Merge Python key values to list
- Reading Python File-Like Objects from C | Python
- Python | Add Logging to a Python Script
- Python | Add Logging to Python Libraries
- Python | Visualizing O(n) using Python
- Python | Index of Non-Zero elements in Python list
- Python | Convert list to Python array
- MySQL-Connector-Python module in Python
- Python - Read blob object in python using wand library
- Python | PRAW - Python Reddit API Wrapper
- twitter-text-python (ttp) module - Python
- Reusable piece of python functionality for wrapping arbitrary blocks of code : Python Context Managers
- Python program to check if the list contains three consecutive common numbers in Python
- Creating and updating PowerPoint Presentations in Python using python - pptx
- How to write an empty function in Python - pass statement?
- Operator Functions in Python | Set 2
If you like GeeksforGeeks and would like to contribute, you can also write an article using contribute.geeksforgeeks.org or mail your article to email@example.com. See your article appearing on the GeeksforGeeks main page and help other Geeks.
Please Improve this article if you find anything incorrect by clicking on the "Improve Article" button below.