MakeMyTrip Interview Experience | On-Campus 2021
MakeMyTrip came to VIT, Vellore for its campus hiring in 2021 August. The complete process was virtual due to pandemics. There were 3 F2F interview rounds and 1 Online Coding Assessment Round. Here I have shared my interview experience in this article. Lots of wishes and luck to the reader for their upcoming placements.
Round 1(Online Assessment on HackerEarth): Number of selected Students – 700 (approx)
Hey geek! It's time to become a success story instead of reading them. Check out our most renowned DSA Self Paced Course, now at a student-friendly price and become industry ready. And if you are looking for a more complete interview preparation resource, check out Complete Interview Preparation Course that will prepare you for the SDE role of your dreams!
Feeling prepared enough for your interview? Test your skills with our Test Series that will help you prepare for top companies like Amazon, Microsoft, TCS, Wipro, Google and many more!
Time – 90 Mins
Section 1: This section consisted of 20 MCQ’s from the OS, DBMS, OOPS, and 3-4 SQL Queries.
Section 2: This section consisted of 2 coding questions and they are –
- Given some points in the x-y coordinates and some queries. In each query, you would be given a radius of a circle and you have to find the number of points that lie on and inside the circle – Solved using Binary Search with log(N) per query and passed all TC’s.
Article Link: https://www.geeksforgeeks.org/queries-count-point-lie-inside-circle/
- Given an array of N non-negative numbers. You can perform an operation on an array element, but the operation can be performed only once. The operation is select X such that 0<=X<=A[i] and reduce A[i] to A[i]-X. Check if the entire sequence can be converted into a strictly increasing sequence or not – Solved using Greedy Approach with O(N) time and passed all TC’s.
Round 2(F2F Interview on HackerEarth): Number of selected Students – 39
Time – 1Hr 10 Mins
The interview started with the interviewer asking me about my projects and why and what I have used in them. Be very clear with all the technologies you have used in your project as the interviewer will ask you in-depth about it. Next, he gave 3 coding questions –
- Given an array of integers which is sorted in ascending order. You have to find the shortest subarray that contains consecutive elements and the size of the subarray should be at least 2. For example – Consider the given array [1, 2, 3, 5, 7, 9, 10]. There are 2 subarrays with consecutive elements ie. [1, 2, 3] and [9, 10], but the array [9, 10] is the shortest in size so return it.
- You are currently on index 0 and you are given the size of an array. You have to perform K operations and you have to count the number of times you will still be on index 0 after performing those operations. There are 3 types of operations that you can perform – Stay on the current index i, Move left to index i-1 if it’s greater than or equals 0, Move right to index i+1 if it’s less than the given size. Solved using recursion and later optimized using Dynamic Programming and the interviewer was happy.
- Tower of Hanoi – Only Approach.
Article Link: https://www.geeksforgeeks.org/c-program-for-tower-of-hanoi/
Practice Link: https://practice.geeksforgeeks.org/problems/help-the-old-man/0
Next, he started grinding me on DBMS and asked almost everything from it – from relationships to scaling, load balancing, and few complex SQL Queries on Joins which I forgot as of now 😐 and some basic questions from OS like multithreading and semaphores.
Round 3(F2F on Zoom): Number of selected Students – 12
Time – 30 Mins
- The interviewer was VP of Engineering at MakeMyTrip with more than 10 years of experience.
- He asked about the 4 Pillars of OOPS and we had an in-depth discussion with real-life applications for each of them.
- Then he asked me to find the Square root of a number without using any inbuilt function with fractional part too – Solved using Binary Search and he was happy.
Article Link: https://www.geeksforgeeks.org/square-root-of-a-number-without-using-sqrt-function/
Round 4(HR Round): Number of selected Students – 8
Time – 5 Mins
- It was just a 5-minute call from HR.
- Wanted to know about my family background and asked about my strengths and weakness.
- One final question Why do you want to join MakeMyTrip?
After this round, 7 students were selected for FTE and I was one of them.
Some tips are –
- Be calm and patient and think before you answer anything as the interviewers are pretty focused on what you are speaking.
- If you don’t know anything just say I am not aware of it instead of making something out of yourself.
- While approaching the coding problems in F2F rounds think out loud.
Finally, I am thankful to GfG and LeetCode which helped me to practice a lot and crack it ✌️.