MakeMyTrip visited our Campus for Full-time roles and the whole recruitment process was done virtually due to COVID-19.
The process consists of 4 rounds:
- Online Test: Conducted on HackerEarth
- Technical Interview (Round-1)
- Technical Interview (Round-2)
- HR Interview
The whole recruitment process took 3 days to complete the interviews and the announcement of the final results.
Round 1 (Online Test): This round consists of 20MCQs and 2 coding questions, MCQs were an easy and moderate level difficulty from DBMS, OS, and OOPs. Given time was 2 hours for this round and it was held on HackerEarth platform
- In a row of seats, 1 represents a person sitting in that seat, and 0 represents that the seat is empty. There is at least one empty seat, and at least one person sitting. Alex wants to sit in the seat such that the distance between him and the closest person to him is maximized. Return that maximum distance to the closest person.
- Given a String S1 and String S2. Convert string S1 to a palindrome string such as S2 is a substring of that palindromic string. The only operation allowed on S1 is the replacement of any character with any other character. Find the minimum number of operations required.
37 students were shortlisted for further round. Of course, I was one of them.
Round 1 (Technical Interview): This round held on HackerEarth and the time duration was 75mins.
- The interview started with the interviewer introducing himself followed by my introduction. After my brief introduction(Yes, it was not that much brief), he asked me to pick any one of your projects. I picked one of my projects and explain the project, the technologies I worked on, in the project, and how this project can be utilized in your organization.
- He asked me some basics of DBMS and Difference b/w RDMS and NoSQL.
- Then he asked me a lot of questions on Synchronization, Semaphore, Thread, Difference b/w Thread, and Process.
After all these questions, he gave me one question from Operating System on HackerEarth Editor and asked me to write production-level code for it.
There are 5 Read and 3 Write operations performed parallel. Write a mechanism to run them.
I started tackling the question with the basic discussion about Conflict- pairs and the Reader Writer problem. Then after a lot of discussion about various approaches, I approached the code using the mutex variable, but I was not sure about this approach.
So I discussed the Peterson Solution, and he was interested in that approach. So finally I have written the whole code for two process P[i] and P[j] using Peterson Solution.
After completing the Peterson Solution Code, he added another problem in Code Editor.
Double Spiral Level Order Traversal of a Tree (The question was similar to spiral level order traversal, but here we need to print 2 levels in one order and then next 2 levels in reverse order)
I approached the question using queue and flag/reverse. But this approach was a little confusing and the interview was also not interested in this approach.
So I switched my approach – Using two stacks and then after completing dry-run for all the levels using this approach. The interviewer asked me to write a production-level Code for this approach. It took 10 min more to write the complete Code.
At last, he told me that he liked my project and I have written both the codes pretty very well. If I had any questions for him.
I asked one question and the interview ended. After half an hour, I received mail for Round-2. A total of 16 students were shortlisted for Round 2.
Round 2 (Technical Interview): This round held on HackerEarth and the time duration was 40mins. The interview started with my introduction then he asked me about all my internship experiences and projects.
- What happens when you type the URL in your browser?
- Layers in the OSI Model and the task of each layer.
- Difference b/w TCP Vs UDP
- What happens when you try to reach any server (explained using the Netflix example)
- Framing, Flow Control, ARQ Techniques
- Some basic questions from the Operating System.
- Difference b/w Web Server and App Server
I had answered all the 6 questions clearly and the last question was just a discussion between us. Then, he asked me If I had any questions. I asked 2-3 questions about my Job description and all.
6 Students were Shortlisted for further Rounds.
- Introduce yourself.
- Family background.
- Why MakeMyTrip?
HR asked If I have any questions, so I asked one and then wait for the final results started.
- Be confident about your abilities.
- Smile and accept that you are not sure about your approach.
- Discuss your approach first and always do Dry-Run on Editor.
All the 6 students selected for the HR interview got the final Job Offer from MakeMyTrip.
Thanks, GFG for all help.
This article is contributed by Arpit Singh.