As we know, Mergesort is a divide and conquer algorithm that splits the array to halves recursively until it reaches an array of the size of 1, and after that it merges sorted subarrays until the original array is fully sorted. Typical implementation of merge sort works in O(n Log n) time in all three cases (best, average and worst).
We need to reduce the best case performance from O(n log n) to O(n).
The idea is to consider the case when array is already sorted. Before merging, just check if arr[mid] > arr[mid+1], because we are dealing with sorted subarrays. This will lead us to the recursive relation T(n) = 2*T(n/2) + 1 which can be resolved by the master’s theorem, so T(n) = n.
Input : 1 2 3 4 Subarrays with size of 1:|1||2| |3||4| Subarrays with size of 2: |1 2| |3 4| Output : 1 2 3 4 Input : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 Subarrays with size of 1: |1||2| |3||4| |5||6| |7||8| Subarrays with size of 2: |1 2| |3 4| |5 6| |7 8| Subarrays with size of 4: |1 2 3 4| |5 6 7 8| Output : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
This article is contributed by Shlomi Elhaiani. If you like GeeksforGeeks and would like to contribute, you can also write an article using contribute.geeksforgeeks.org or mail your article to email@example.com. See your article appearing on the GeeksforGeeks main page and help other Geeks.
Please write comments if you find anything incorrect, or you want to share more information about the topic discussed above.
- Why quicksort is better than mergesort ?
- Perform K of Q queries to maximize the sum of the array elements
- Comparisons involved in Modified Quicksort Using Merge Sort Tree
- When does the worst case of Quicksort occur?
- Print a case where the given sorting algorithm fails
- Find a permutation that causes worst case of Merge Sort
- Can QuickSort be implemented in O(nLogn) worst case time complexity?
- QuickSort Tail Call Optimization (Reducing worst case space to Log n )
- Minimum swaps to make two arrays identical
- Find whether it is possible to make array elements same using one external number
- Minimum number of elements to add to make median equals x
- Minimum operations to make frequency of all characters equal K
- Minimum operations of given type to make all elements of a matrix equal
- Check whether it is possible to make both arrays equal by modifying a single element
- Minimum Increment / decrement to make array elements equal