Google Algorithms are used to give the best possible outcome or result whenever someone searches something on Google. Not only one but it uses several algorithms to perform this task and it also checks for the rank of the web pages which is delivered after the task. Google is making a vast change in its algorithm at a very frequent period.
Some of Google updates are as follows:
- Panda update
- Payday Loan Algorithm
- Penguin Update
- Hummingbird update
- Mobile Update
- Rank Brain Possum
- Update Fred Pigeon
- Page Layout Algorithm
- Exact Match Domain
The focus of these updates was to improve the quality of sites and content that is going to show up on Google.
1. Panda Update: It is one of Google’s official algorithm update. This update was done to reduce the low-quality data because in 2009 after the caffeine update the low-quality data also became part of the search results. To reduce that google make a new update and named its Panda. In panda, the pages were given a quality parameter based on the rating given by humans to the pages. So panda eliminates the low-quality content and promotes high quality and user-friendly pages.
2. Payday Loan Algorithm: This algorithm was released in 2013, cause at that time the spam in Google was increasing. So to reduce Spam websites from Google search results this algorithm was introduced. This was one of the important updates by Google, which targeted Spam queries which were related to super high-interest loans and other heavily spammed queries.
3. Penguin Update: It was launched in 2012, the same as panda this algorithm also used to promote high-quality data in search results and also to not show the spammy content or low-quality data. This algorithm is an extension of the panda which works on reducing the effectiveness of black hat techniques, that were used to promote the low-quality pages in the search results of Google. The main task of the penguin algorithm was to show the relevant, real, and genuine result websites, and the spam my websites were downgraded.
4. Hummingbird Update: This update was launched on 22 August 2013, its main work is to show the query that query on the internet which may not have the same word. It mainly focuses on the intention of the searcher. So hummingbird algorithm is important because sometimes grammatical mistakes occur during typing and results did not show up so this was corrected by using this algorithm.
5. Mobile Update: As the name suggests this algorithm is for mobile search, its task is to show the Mobile-friendly pages on the top when searched from a mobile. This was launched on 21 st April 2015. The top results will be mobile optimized, and those who are not optimized will be downgraded.
6. Rank Brain: It is a machine learning algorithm. It is kind of similar to a hummingbird, its a machine learning from which Google understand and shows the best result. It is one of the important algorithms of Google and was launched on 26 October 2015.
7. Possum Update: This algorithm is mainly based on the location, it will show the local result according to the location. The nearer you are to the business address, the more chances that you will see it in your search result, and the result may vary on different locations for local addresses. This was launched on 1 September 2016.
8. Fred: One of the latest updates in Google and was launched on 8 March 2017. Its main focus is to target websites that have less content and more ads or you can say the websites having focus is on generating revenue with low-class content. Small websites and blogs are focused on this update.
9. Pigeon: This update was launched by Google on 24th July 2014 in the US and 22 DEC 2014 in UK, Canada, Australia. This update mainly links with those searches on Google in which the location of the user is mainly focused. SEO is used to show local results in an area. So to rank after the pigeon update focus time and efforts on the on-page and off-page SEO.
10. Page Layout Algorithm: This update was introduced by Google on 19 January 2012. After the release, this algorithm was updated on 9 October 2012 and the last update till now was on 1 November 2016. This algorithm is linked with the user experience. This algorithm affects those sites which have so many extra ads. So here in this algorithm, those sites in which ads force the user to see content, and approximately 1% of sites were affected.
11. Exact Match Domain: This algorithm was introduced in 2012. As the name suggests it works on the exact name and targets exactly what the name suggests. This update was to focus on the exact match of domain despite thin content and the quality of the site. The major weakness of EDM was that the websites SEOs would buy domains with exact match keyword phrases, build a site out, but have extremely thin content with little to no value on them. And it was so easy to do. The result of this update occurred in a way that, non-dot-com domains experienced a more severe punishment than .com counterparts.