Longitudinal Redundancy Check (LRC) is also known as 2-D parity check. In this method, data which the user want to send is organised into tables of rows and columns. A block of bit is divided into table or matrix of rows and columns. In order to detect an error, a redundant bit is added to the whole block and this block is transmitted to receiver. The receiver uses this redundant row to detect error. After checking the data for errors, receiver accepts the data and discards the redundant row of bits.
If a block of 32 bits is to be transmitted, it is divided into matrix of four rows and eight columns which as shown in the following figure :
In this matrix of bits, a parity bit (odd or even) is calculated for each column. It means 32 bits data plus 8 redundant bits are transmitted to receiver. Whenever data reaches at the destination, receiver uses LRC to detect error in data.
LRC is used to detect burst errors.
Example : Suppose 32 bit data plus LRC that was being transmitted is hit by a burst error of length 5 and some bits are corrupted as shown in the following figure :
The LRC received by the destination does not match with newly corrupted LRC. The destination comes to know that the data is erroneous, so it discards the data.
The main problem with LRC is that, it is not able to detect error if two bits in a data unit are damaged and two bits in exactly the same position in other data unit are also damaged.
Example : If data 110011 010101 is changed to 010010110100.
In this example 1st and 6th bit in one data unit is changed . Also the 1st and 6th bit in second unit is changed.
Attention reader! Don’t stop learning now. Get hold of all the important CS Theory concepts for SDE interviews with the CS Theory Course at a student-friendly price and become industry ready.
- Vertical Redundancy Check (VRC) or Parity Check
- Cyclic Redundancy Check in Python
- Hot Standby Router Protocol (HSRP) and Virtual Router Redundancy Protocol (VRRP)
- Introduction of Virtual Router Redundancy Protocol (VRRP) and its configuration
- The Problem of redundancy in Database
- Check if the language is Context Free or Not
- Polygraph to check View Serializabilty in DBMS
- TCP Client-Server Program to Check if a Given String is Palindrome
- Tr0ll 3 Walkthrough of Check the Flag or CTF Problem
- Advantage and Disadvantage of Mesh Topology
- Previous Solved CS Papers Year wise - GATE / UGC / ISRO
- Importance of Sudo GATE CS 2021 Test Series
- 14 Most Common Network Protocols And Their Vulnerabilities
- Difference between McAfee and Windows Defender
If you like GeeksforGeeks and would like to contribute, you can also write an article using contribute.geeksforgeeks.org or mail your article to email@example.com. See your article appearing on the GeeksforGeeks main page and help other Geeks.
Please Improve this article if you find anything incorrect by clicking on the "Improve Article" button below.