LINUX stands for Lovable Intellect Not Using XP. Linux was developed by Linus Torvalds and named after him. Linux is an open-source and community-developed operating system for computers, servers, mainframes, mobile devices, and embedded devices. Linux receives requests from system programs and it relays them into computer hardware. Linux is flexible, reliable, secure and it has large community user’s support. Linux is compatible with almost every possible file format and can run on a large number of devices.
Linux is a multi-programming, multi-user operating system, it means the same system can be used by different users with different access rights and simultaneously many applications can be run on it.
Characteristics of Linux
- Linux can work on different types of hardware, so Linux is portable.
- Linux is open source, so it is free to use and users can also work on enhancing features of the Linux operating sytem.
- It is multi-use operating system, that means multiple users can access the system.
- Linux is secure as it provide password protection and encryption of data.
- Linux is multi-programming as multiple application can be run at same time.
Advantages of Linux
- Linux is compatible with large number of file format.
- Linux is free of cost so it is easily available for users to download and use.
- It is enhancing day by day as users can make changes in the Linux operating system.
- Linux system rarely crashes as they are very stable.
- Linux does not collect much user data, so it ensures privacy of user.
Disadvantages of Linux
- Linux does not provide some hardware drivers which is drawback of Linux.
- Command line interface of Linux is difficult to use for beginners.
- Some graphic tools are not available for Linux operating system.
- Linux does not have standard versions, which makes difficult for users to choose best version for their needs.
Attention reader! Don’t stop learning now. Get hold of all the important DSA concepts with the DSA Self Paced Course at a student-friendly price and become industry ready.