While writing a program, sometimes we give comment about the working of the code in the comment section with the help of single/double comment line. But we had never thought that if at the end of this comment line if we use \(backslash) character then what will happen?
The answer of the above question is line Splicing. Lines terminated by a \ are spliced together with the next line very early in the process of translation. §2.2 Phases of translation.
Actually whenever at the end of the comment line if we use \(backslash) character then it deletes the backslash character and the preceding next line of code only from the entire program or we can say that the ending \(backslash) makes the new line also as a comment for the compiler.
Explanation: In the above program as we can see when we use the \(backslash) character at the end of comment line. Then the next line of code is treated as comment in the program and the output is welcome.
This article is contributed by Bishal Kumar Dubey. If you like GeeksforGeeks and would like to contribute, you can also write an article using contribute.geeksforgeeks.org or mail your article to email@example.com. See your article appearing on the GeeksforGeeks main page and help other Geeks.
Please write comments if you find anything incorrect, or you want to share more information about the topic discussed above.
Attention reader! Don’t stop learning now. Get hold of all the important DSA concepts with the DSA Self Paced Course at a student-friendly price and become industry ready.
- Program to delete a line given the line number from a file
- Equation of straight line passing through a given point which bisects it into two equal line segments
- C program to print odd line contents of a File followed by even line content
- Write a one line C function to round floating point numbers
- Write one line functions for strcat() and strcmp()
- Swap two variables in one line in C/C++, Python, PHP and Java
- Command line arguments in C/C++
- Command line arguments example in C
- Draw a line in C++ graphics
- LEX program to add line numbers to a given file
- getopt() function in C to parse command line arguments
- Custom Jumble Word Game
- Comparator Class in C++ with Examples
- Complete Guide to Install C++17 in Windows