Prerequisites – FIFO (First-In-First-Out) approach in Programming, FIFO vs LIFO approach in Programming
LIFO is an abbreviation for last in, first out. It is a method for handling data structures where the first element is processed last and the last element is processed first.
Real life example:
In this example, following things are to be considered:
- There is a bucket which holds balls.
- Different types of balls are entered in the bucket.
- The ball to enter the bucket last, will be taken out first.
- The ball entering the bucket next to last will be taken out after the ball above it (the newer one).
- In this way, the ball entering the bucket first will leave the bucket last.
- Therefore, the Last ball (Blue) to enter the bucket gets removed first and the First ball (Red) to enter the bucket gets removed last.
This is known as Last-In-First-Out approach or LIFO.
Where is LIFO used:
- Data Structures –
Certain data structures like Stacks and other variants of Stacks uses LIFO approach for processing data.
- Extracting latest information –
Sometimes computers use LIFO when data is extracted from an array or data buffer. When it is required to get the most recent information entered, the LIFO approach is used.
Program Examples for LIFO –
Using Stack data structure:
Pop: 4 3 2 1 0 Element on stack top : 4 Element is found at position 3 Element not found
- FIFO vs LIFO approach in Programming
- Print the last k nodes of the linked list in reverse order | Recursive approach
- Stack in Python
- Find the winner of the Game to Win by erasing any two consecutive similar alphabets
- Convert ternary expression to Binary Tree using Stack
- Find all unique pairs of maximum and second maximum elements over all sub-arrays in O(NlogN)
- Python | Stack using Doubly Linked List
- InfyTQ 2019 : Find the position from where the parenthesis is not balanced
- Introduction to Data Structures | 10 most commonly used Data Structures
- Implementing Forward Iterator in BST
- Nodes from given two BSTs with sum equal to X
- Triplet with a given sum in BST | Set 2
- Design a stack which can give maximum frequency element
- Reverse the Sentence using Stack
If you like GeeksforGeeks and would like to contribute, you can also write an article using contribute.geeksforgeeks.org or mail your article to email@example.com. See your article appearing on the GeeksforGeeks main page and help other Geeks.
Please Improve this article if you find anything incorrect by clicking on the "Improve Article" button below.