When a client gets subscribed to a shrink-wrapped software, that software subscription based on an agreement End User Licence Agreement (EULA). Mostly the subscription price to a software is directly tied to the EULA in instances. End User Licence Agreement (EULA) may require that the software should satisfy the following criteria:
- Installation of software can be performed at any number of systems.
- It empowers to arrange numeral networks.
- It is own by the client.
- The independent software vendor having any perimeter can be sited.
Earlier, computer industry has known that the utilization of categorized applications over the internet may impact the method in which organizations license their software, indeed it has. The issue is that there is no standardized description to how application accessed over cloud network will be charged. It can definitely be argued that the use of open source software is a successful model. The open source software is free to use and it can be supported as a line extension of a commercial product, or it can be paid for out of money received from other services like advertisement.
Practically, cloud service vendors tend to license their application or service based on machine account or client, but the do it many ways which are different than a client might expect based on his experience with software and hardware. Many application and services are delivered by the service providers on the subscription basis, usage model, or both which tie it to the client. The impact of cloud computing on bulk software is quite arduous to measure.
Managing cloud Licenses:
There is various method which are convenient to the client in maintaining the licenses of the applications, software and services that utilized by the client. With effective plans a client can manage cloud licensing. Below are the steps to control applications use in the cloud:
- Sync all license renewals –
- Research licensing model before buying –
Licensing Models for different cloud service providers varies. Depending on the numerous virtual servers needed and the inclusive infrastructure, any model may be better. For example, Citrix Xen Server licenses clients as per-server model while VMWare licenses in a per-socket model.
- Use a hybrid licensing model –
Many applications are licensed on a per-user basis, many are wrapped per-device and other may have particular levels. Each cloud licensing model has its own benefits as per the convenience of service provider and the client.
- Negotiate agreements –
When working with a cloud service provider, always negotiate number, levels and costs of licenses. Cloud service providers seeks for the clients for their business and many times will work to track the reasonable worth and licensing to meet the cloud needs of the client.
By ending licensing renewals at the same time, administrator deployed with managing licenses become aware of approaching renewal times. This is necessary if the number of clients get subscribe or unsubscribe the services in the cloud throughout the year. With various cloud licenses, a group of expertise can sometimes may not remember one or more renewal dates or improperly renew a license.
BOOKS – Cloud computing Bible & Mastering Cloud computing
- Difference Between Cloud Computing and Fog Computing
- Serverless Computing and FaaS Model - The Next Stage in Cloud Computing
- Quantum Computing - The Computing Technology of Tomorrow
- Distributed Objects Computing: The next generation of client-server computing
- Virtualization In Cloud Computing and Types
- Cloud Computing Platforms and Technologies
- CRM and ERP in Cloud Computing
- Complementary Relationship Between Cloud Computing and IOT
- How Emerging Economies and Different Industries are Getting Benefit From Cloud Computing?
- Components of IOT and relation with Cloud Computing
- Difference Between Cloud Computing and Hadoop
- Difference between Cloud Computing and Big Data Analytics
- Difference Between Cloud Computing and Data Analytics
- Difference between Cloud Computing and Virtualization
- Cloud Computing
- Introduction to Microsoft Azure | A cloud computing service
- Cloud computing Research challenges
- Load balancing in Cloud Computing
- Service level agreements in Cloud computing
- Compliance as a Service (CaaS) in Cloud Computing
If you like GeeksforGeeks and would like to contribute, you can also write an article using contribute.geeksforgeeks.org or mail your article to email@example.com. See your article appearing on the GeeksforGeeks main page and help other Geeks.
Please Improve this article if you find anything incorrect by clicking on the "Improve Article" button below.