Given a string of size n, write functions to perform following operations on string.
- Left (Or anticlockwise) rotate the given string by d elements (where d <= n)
- Right (Or clockwise) rotate the given string by d elements (where d <= n).
Input : s = "GeeksforGeeks" d = 2 Output : Left Rotation : "eksforGeeksGe" Right Rotation : "ksGeeksforGee" Input : s = "qwertyu" d = 2 Output : Left rotation : "ertyuqw" Right rotation : "yuqwert"
A Simple Solution is to use a temporary string to do rotations. For left rotation, first copy last n-d characters, then copy first d characters in order to the temporary string. For right rotation, first copy last d characters, then copy n-d characters.
Can we do both rotations in-place and O(n) time?
The idea is based on reversal algorithm for rotation.
// Left rotate string s by d (Assuming d <= n) leftRotate(s, d) reverse(s, 0, d-1); // Reverse substring s[0..d-1] reverse(s, d, n-1); // Reverse substring s[d..n-1] reverse(s, 0, n-1); // Reverse whole string. // Right rotate string s by d (Assuming d <= n) rightRotate(s, d) // We can also call above reverse steps // with d = n-d. leftRotate(s, n-d)
Below is the implementation of above steps :
Left rotation: eksforGeeksGe Right rotation: ksGeeksforGee
This article is contributed by Rishabh Jain. If you like GeeksforGeeks and would like to contribute, you can also write an article using contribute.geeksforgeeks.org or mail your article to email@example.com. See your article appearing on the GeeksforGeeks main page and help other Geeks.
Please write comments if you find anything incorrect, or you want to share more information about the topic discussed above.
- Left rotation of an array using vectors in C++
- Print left rotation of array in O(n) time and O(1) space
- Lexicographically minimum string rotation | Set 1
- Check if a given string is a rotation of a palindrome
- Queries for rotation and Kth character of the given string in constant time
- Program for array rotation
- Reversal algorithm for right rotation of an array
- Reversal algorithm for array rotation
- Circular rotation of an array using deque in C++
- Block swap algorithm for array rotation
- Find a rotation with maximum hamming distance
- C Program for Reversal algorithm for array rotation
- Find the Rotation Count in Rotated Sorted array
- Java Program for Reversal algorithm for array rotation
- Queries on Left and Right Circular shift on array