Given a number n, print least prime factors of all numbers from 1 to n. The least prime factor of an integer n is the smallest prime number that divides the number. The least prime factor of all even numbers is 2. A prime number is its own least prime factor (as well as its own greatest prime factor).
Note: We need to print 1 for 1.
Input : 6 Output : Least Prime factor of 1: 1 Least Prime factor of 2: 2 Least Prime factor of 3: 3 Least Prime factor of 4: 2 Least Prime factor of 5: 5 Least Prime factor of 6: 2
We can use a variation of sieve of Eratosthenes to solve the above problem.
- Create a list of consecutive integers from 2 through n: (2, 3, 4, …, n).
- Initially, let i equal 2, the smallest prime number.
- Enumerate the multiples of i by counting to n from 2i in increments of i, and mark them as having least prime factor as i (if not already marked). Also mark i as least prime factor of i (i itself is a prime number).
- Find the first number greater than i in the list that is not marked. If there was no such number, stop. Otherwise, let i now equal this new number (which is the next prime), and repeat from step 3.
Below is the implementation of the algorithm, where least_prime saves the value of the least prime factor corresponding to the respective index.
Least Prime factor of 1: 1 Least Prime factor of 2: 2 Least Prime factor of 3: 3 Least Prime factor of 4: 2 Least Prime factor of 5: 5 Least Prime factor of 6: 2 Least Prime factor of 7: 7 Least Prime factor of 8: 2 Least Prime factor of 9: 3 Least Prime factor of 10: 2
Time Complexity: O(nlog(n))
Auxiliary Space: O(n)
Can we extend this algorithm or use least_prime to find all the prime factors for numbers till n?
This article is contributed by Ayush Khanduri. If you like GeeksforGeeks and would like to contribute, you can also write an article using contribute.geeksforgeeks.org or mail your article to email@example.com. See your article appearing on the GeeksforGeeks main page and help other Geeks.
Please write comments if you find anything incorrect, or you want to share more information about the topic discussed above.
- Exactly n distinct prime factor numbers from a to b
- Count all the numbers less than 10^6 whose minimum prime factor is N
- Numbers with sum of digits equal to the sum of digits of its all prime factor
- Prime Factor
- N-th prime factor of a given number
- k-th prime factor of a given number
- Nearest element with at-least one common prime factor
- Queries on the sum of prime factor counts in a range
- Sum of largest prime factor of each number less than equal to n
- Find largest prime factor of a number
- Find sum of a number and its maximum prime factor
- Sum of Maximum and Minimum prime factor of every number in the Array
- Count of subarrays whose products don't have any repeating prime factor
- Absolute difference between the Product of Non-Prime numbers and Prime numbers of an Array
- Average of odd numbers till a given odd number