Question: Write an efficient program for printing k largest elements in an array. Elements in array can be in any order.
For example, if given array is [1, 23, 12, 9, 30, 2, 50] and you are asked for the largest 3 elements i.e., k = 3 then your program should print 50, 30 and 23.
Method 1 (Use Bubble k times)
Thanks to Shailendra for suggesting this approach.
1) Modify Bubble Sort to run the outer loop at most k times.
2) Print the last k elements of the array obtained in step 1.
Time Complexity: O(nk)
Like Bubble sort, other sorting algorithms like Selection Sort can also be modified to get the k largest elements.
Method 2 (Use temporary array)
K largest elements from arr[0..n-1]
1) Store the first k elements in a temporary array temp[0..k-1].
2) Find the smallest element in temp, let the smallest element be min.
3-a) For each element x in arr[k] to arr[n-1]. O(n-k)
If x is greater than the min then remove min from temp and insert x.
3-b)Then, determine the new min from temp. O(k)
4) Print final k elements of temp
Time Complexity: O((n-k)*k). If we want the output sorted then O((n-k)*k + klogk)
Thanks to nesamani1822 for suggesting this method.
Method 3(Use Sorting)
1) Sort the elements in descending order in O(nLogn)
2) Print the first k numbers of the sorted array O(k).
Following is the implementation of the above.
50 30 23
Time complexity: O(nlogn)
Method 4 (Use Max Heap)
1) Build a Max Heap tree in O(n)
2) Use Extract Max k times to get k maximum elements from the Max Heap O(klogn)
Time complexity: O(n + klogn)
Method 5(Use Oder Statistics)
1) Use order statistic algorithm to find the kth largest element. Please see the topic selection in worst-case linear time O(n)
2) Use QuickSort Partition algorithm to partition around the kth largest number O(n).
3) Sort the k-1 elements (elements greater than the kth largest element) O(kLogk). This step is needed only if sorted output is required.
Time complexity: O(n) if we don’t need the sorted output, otherwise O(n+kLogk)
Thanks to Shilpi for suggesting the first two approaches.
Method 6 (Use Min Heap)
This method is mainly an optimization of method 1. Instead of using temp array, use Min Heap.
1) Build a Min Heap MH of the first k elements (arr to arr[k-1]) of the given array. O(k)
2) For each element, after the kth element (arr[k] to arr[n-1]), compare it with root of MH.
……a) If the element is greater than the root then make it root and call heapify for MH
……b) Else ignore it.
// The step 2 is O((n-k)*logk)
3) Finally, MH has k largest elements and root of the MH is the kth largest element.
Time Complexity: O(k + (n-k)Logk) without sorted output. If sorted output is needed then O(k + (n-k)Logk + kLogk)
All of the above methods can also be used to find the kth largest (or smallest) element.
50 88 96
Please write comments if you find any of the above explanations/algorithms incorrect, or find better ways to solve the same problem.
Attention reader! Don’t stop learning now. Get hold of all the important DSA concepts with the DSA Self Paced Course at a student-friendly price and become industry ready.
- Convert min Heap to max Heap
- Heap Sort for decreasing order using min heap
- Given level order traversal of a Binary Tree, check if the Tree is a Min-Heap
- Convert BST to Min Heap
- Merge k sorted linked lists | Set 2 (Using Min Heap)
- Print all nodes less than a value x in a Min Heap.
- Maximum element in min heap
- Fibonacci Heap - Deletion, Extract min and Decrease key
- K’th Least Element in a Min-Heap
- Maximise the number of toys that can be purchased with amount K using min Heap
- Merge two sorted arrays in constant space using Min Heap
- Min Heap in Python
- Complexity analysis of various operations of Binary Min Heap
- Smallest number to be added in first Array modulo M to make frequencies of both Arrays equal
- Elements to be added so that all elements of a range are present in array
- Minimize elements to be added to a given array such that it contains another given array as its subsequence
- Minimize elements to be added to a given array such that it contains another given array as its subsequence | Set 2
- Check if array elements are consecutive | Added Method 3
- Find whether an array is subset of another array | Added Method 3
- Find the smallest and second smallest elements in an array