Declaration tag is one of the scripting elements in JSP.
This Tag is used for declare the variables. Along with this, Declaration Tag can also declare method and classes. Jsp initializer scans the code and find the declaration tag and initialize all the variables, methods and classes. JSP container keeps this code outside of the service method (_JSPService()) to make them class level variables and methods.
Syntax of JSP-Declaration Tag
Example of JSP Declaration Tag which initialise a string
Example of JSP Declaration Tag which initializes a method
Difference between the JSP Expression, Declarative and Scriptlet tags
- Expression tag: This tag contains a scripting language expression that is converted to a String and inserted where the expression appears in the JSP file. Because the value of an expression is converted to a String, you can use an expression within text in a JSP file. You cannot use a semicolon to end an expression.
- Declaration tag : This declares one or more variables or methods for use later in the JSP source file. It must contain at least one complete statement. You can declare any number of variables or methods within one declaration tag, but you have to separated them by semicolons. The declaration must be valid in the scripting language used in the JSP file.You can add method to declaration part.
- Scriptlet tag : You can declare variables in the script-let and can do any processing. All the Scriptlet go to inside service() method of the convert servlet.
- Why Data Structures and Algorithms are "Must Have" for Developers and Where to learn them : Answered
- Learn Data Structures and Algorithms for your Dream Job with this online Course
- OpenMP | Hello World program
- How I Handle GATE CS Preparation with College Studies
- The complete History of Java Programming Language
- GATE CS 2020 Important (Tentative) Dates
- Git- Setting up a Repository
- Creating Knockout Application along with Setting up Environment in Visual Studio
- New Algorithm to Generate Prime Numbers from 1 to Nth Number
- Observables : KnockoutJS
- Must Do Coding Questions Company-wise
- Difference between JSP and ASP
- Introduction and Installation of Git
- What is JavaDoc tool and how to use it?
If you like GeeksforGeeks and would like to contribute, you can also write an article using contribute.geeksforgeeks.org or mail your article to firstname.lastname@example.org. See your article appearing on the GeeksforGeeks main page and help other Geeks.
Please Improve this article if you find anything incorrect by clicking on the "Improve Article" button below.