JCL Utilities are pre-written programs, widely used in mainframe to achieve day-to-day requirements, organizing and maintaining data. It is used to reorganize, change or compare data at the data set or record level.
These utilities allow to manipulate data sets, which are provided as input to the programs.
- IEBCOPY –
It is used to copy one or more members from existing dataset to a new or existing PDS dataset, used for compressing PDS, loading PDS to TAPE and unloading from TAPE to DISK.
- IEBGENER –
It is used to copy or print sequential data sets. Also used to copy any TAPE file to DISK or DISK to TAPE.
- IEHLIST –
It is system utility used to list entries in the directory of one or more PDS, entries in the catalog or list the contents of a Volume Table of Contents (VTOC).
- IEHMOVE –
It is used to move one dataset from one volume to another volume.
- IEBCOMPR –
It is used to compare the contents of two PS or PDS datasets.
- IEBEDIT –
It is used to create a JCL containing a selection of job steps. These job steps can be entered into the job stream for processing.
- IEHPROGM –
It is used for deleting or renaming data sets or members and for cataloging or uncataloging non-VSAM data sets.
- DFSORT & SYNCSORT –
It is powerful IBM utility used to copy, sort or merge datasets. SYSIN DD statement is used to specify the conditions. It is used to achieve many functionalities,
- COPY all records from SORTIN to SORTOUT.
- SKIP first 100 records and then copy 20 records.
- SORT the input file in the order of the specified field position.
- INCLUDE or OMIT record in input file based on condition.
- MERGE input files in the order of the specified field position.
- JOIN two or more input files based on specified JOIN KEY in input file.
- To remove duplicates
- SUM the values for same-key records.
- Add sequence number to the output file.
- Restructure the input file before feeding to sort.
- To create multiple files from single input file.
- Restructure the sorted file before writing.
- ICETOOL –
It is a wrapper around DFSORT, is another IBM utility used to perform a variety of operations on datasets. The file operations are specified in the TOOLIN DD statement.
- copy unique, selected and duplicate records.
- To get statistics(maximum, average and total) of a numeric field.
- Count unique values in a field.
- IDCAMS –
Generates and modifies VSAM and Generation Data Groups (GDG) datasets. The Commands that carry out IDCAMS tasks include DEFINE, PRINT, LISTCAT, REPRO, ALTER, VERIFY and DELETE. It Creates versioned files for GDGs on a chronological basis. It List VSAM dataset attributes and Delete unwanted datasets.
Don’t stop now and take your learning to the next level. Learn all the important concepts of Data Structures and Algorithms with the help of the most trusted course: DSA Self Paced. Become industry ready at a student-friendly price.
- Difference Between Assembly Language And Machine Language
- Difference Between Machine Language and Assembly Language
- Concurrency Control in DBMS
- Control Structure Testing
- Concurrency Control Techniques
- Version Control in Project
- Control methods of Database Security
- Timestamp based Concurrency Control
- Two Phase Locking (2-PL) Concurrency Control Protocol | Set 3
- Difference between Hardwired and Microprogrammed Control Unit
- Graph Based Concurrency Control Protocol in DBMS
- Lock Based Concurrency Control Protocol in DBMS
- Datatypes in R language
- Introduction to R Programming Language
- Structured Query Language (SQL)
- Interesting Facts about R Programming Language
- Features of Structured Query Language (SQL)
- Neo4j Query Cypher Language
- Database Roles in CQL (Cassandra Query Language)
- Additional Functions in CQL (Cassandra Query Language)
If you like GeeksforGeeks and would like to contribute, you can also write an article using contribute.geeksforgeeks.org or mail your article to email@example.com. See your article appearing on the GeeksforGeeks main page and help other Geeks.
Please Improve this article if you find anything incorrect by clicking on the "Improve Article" button below.