Below is the example of the Array indexOf() method.
name = [
a = name.indexOf(
// Printing result of method
The arr.indexOf() method is used to find the index of the first occurrence of the search element provided as the argument to the method.
Paramaters: This method accepts two parameters as mentioned above and described below:
- element: This parameter holds the element which index will be return.
- start: This parameter is optional and it holds the starting point of the array, where to begin the search the default value is 0.
Return value: This method returns the index of the first occurrence of the element. If the element cannot be found in the array, then this method returns -1.
- Example 1: In this example the method will searched for the element 2 in that array return that element indesx.
Input : [1, 2, 3, 4, 5].indexOf(2); Output: 1
- Example 2: In this example the method will searched for the element 9 in that array if not found then return -1.
Input : [1, 2, 3, 4, 5].indexOf(9); Output: -1
Code for the above method is provided below:
- Google Chrome 1 and above
- Edge 12 and above
- Firefox 1.5 and above
- Internet Explorer 9 and above
- Opera 9.5 and above
- Safari 3 and above