The method is a java.util.Collections class method. It counts the frequency of the specified element in the given list. It override the equals() method to perform the comparison to check if the specified Object and the Object in the list are equal or not.
public static int frequency(Collection c, Object o) parameters: c: Collection in which to determine the frequency of o. o: Object whose frequency is to be determined. It throws Null Pointer Exception if the Collection c is null.
The frequency of the word code is: 3
Using Java.util. Collections.frequency() for Custom defined objects
The method stated above works well for already defined Objects in java, but what about the custom defined objects. Well, to count the frequency of a custom defined object in java, we will have to simply override the equals() method. Lets see how we can do that.
The frequency of the Student Ram,19 is: 2
This article is contributed by Tanisha Mittal. If you like GeeksforGeeks and would like to contribute, you can also write an article using contribute.geeksforgeeks.org or mail your article to firstname.lastname@example.org. See your article appearing on the GeeksforGeeks main page and help other Geeks.
Please write comments if you find anything incorrect, or you want to share more information about the topic discussed above.
Attention reader! Don’t stop learning now. Get hold of all the important Java and Collections concepts with the Fundamentals of Java and Java Collections Course at a student-friendly price and become industry ready.
- Java.util.BitSet class methods in Java with Examples | Set 2
- Java.Lang.Float class in Java
- Java.io.BufferedInputStream class in Java
- Java.io.ObjectInputStream Class in Java | Set 1
- Java.util.BitSet class in Java with Examples | Set 1
- Java.io.File Class in Java
- Java.io.BufferedWriter class methods in Java
- Java.io.DataOutputStream in Java
- Java.io.StreamTokenizer Class in Java | Set 1
- Java.io.InputStream Class in Java
- Java.io.SequenceInputStream in Java
- Java.io.StreamTokenizer Class in Java | Set 2
- Java.io.Console class in Java
- Java.io.FilterOutputStream Class in Java
- Java.io.StringWriter class in Java
- Java.io.CharArrayReader Class in Java
- Java.io.FileInputStream Class in Java
- Java.io.CharArrayWriter class in Java | Set 1
- Java.io.CharArrayWriter class in Java | Set 2
- Java.io.DataInputStream class in Java | Set 1