Given a positive integer, write a function to find if it is a power of two or not.
Input : n = 4 Output : Yes 22 = 4 Input : n = 7 Output : No Input : n = 32 Output : Yes 25 = 32
1. A simple method for this is to simply take the log of the number on base 2 and if you get an integer then number is power of 2.
2. Another solution is to keep dividing the number by two, i.e, do n = n/2 iteratively. In any iteration, if n%2 becomes non-zero and n is not 1 then n is not a power of 2. If n becomes 1 then it is a power of 2.
3. All power of two numbers have only one bit set. So count the no. of set bits and if you get 1 then number is a power of 2. Please see Count set bits in an integer for counting set bits.
4. If we subtract a power of 2 numbers by 1 then all unset bits after the only set bit become set; and the set bit become unset.
For example for 4 ( 100) and 16(10000), we get following after subtracting 1
3 –> 011
15 –> 01111
So, if a number n is a power of 2 then bitwise & of n and n-1 will be zero. We can say n is a power of 2 or not based on value of n&(n-1). The expression n&(n-1) will not work when n is 0. To handle this case also, our expression will become n& (!n&(n-1)) (thanks to https://www.geeksforgeeks.org/program-to-find-whether-a-no-is-power-of-two/Mohammad for adding this case).
Below is the implementation of this method.
Please refer complete article on Program to find whether a no is power of two for more details!
- Java Program to check whether it is possible to make a divisible by 3 number using all digits in an array
- Check whether the number formed by concatenating two numbers is a perfect square or not
- Java Program to Find the closest pair from two sorted arrays
- Java Program for Program to find area of a circle
- Java Program for GCD of more than two (or array) numbers
- Java Program for Common Divisors of Two Numbers
- Java Program to Multiply two Matrices of any size
- Java Program to Add two Matrices
- Java Program to Swap two Variables
- Java Program for Program to calculate area of a Tetrahedron
- Java Program for Program for array rotation
- Find the duration of difference between two dates in Java
- Java Program to find the sum of a Series 1/1! + 2/2! + 3/3! + 4/4! +.......+ n/n!
- Java Program to Find remainder of array multiplication divided by n
- Java Program for Find the perimeter of a cylinder
- Java Program to Find sum of even factors of a number
- Java Program to Find minimum sum of factors of number
- Java Program for Find largest prime factor of a number
- Java Program to find largest element in an array
- Java Program to find sum of array