JPEG and GIF both are a type of image format to store images. JPEG uses lossy compression algorithm and the image may lose some of its data whereas GIF uses a lossless compression algorithm and no image data loss is present in GIF format. GIF images support animation and transparency. Sometimes it is required to attach the Image where we required an image file with the specified extension. And we have the image with the different extension which needs to be converted with a specified extension like in this we will convert the image having Extension of .jpeg to .gif and vice-versa.
In Java, write() method is used to convert an image from gif type of format to jpg, use the static method write() provided by the class ImageIO under javax.imageio package.
boolean write(RenderedImage image, String formatName, OutputStream output)
Parameters: write() method accepts 3 parameters namely image, formatName and output.
- Image: The input image as a subclass of the RenderedImage interface, such as BufferedImage.To obtain a BufferedImage object from the input image file, we can use the read(InputStream) which is also provided by the ImageIO class.
- formatName: specifies format type of the output image.
- output specifies an OutputStream to which the output image will be written.
Return Type: Boolean value where returning true if it can find an ImageWriter and perform conversion successfully else it will return false.
Exceptions: It will throw IOException if an error occurs during execution. It is shown later on in the implementation part.
Following utility class implements a static method, convertImg() which takes input and output image path as parameters.
To convert .jpeg to .gif, in the below code do the following necessary changes
- Change ‘formatType’ to GIF.
- In ‘outputImage’ change the name of the image with the correct file extension.
- Similarly, change name of ‘inputImage’ with the correct file extension.
Note: For input and output images path, Input and input images been passed are present on the desktop of the machine
- Input image with name “demoImage.gif”
- Output Image with name “demoImage.jpeg”
Code is present at the directory mentioned below
Case 1: When an error is thrown
Case 2: Successful compilation but exception thrown at runtime(failed to run properly)
Case 3: Successful compilation and successfully run
Image converted to jpeg successfully.
When executed it will show Image converted to jpeg successfully, we can find that on console and a new jpeg image created in the file
Attention reader! Don’t stop learning now. Get hold of all the important Java Foundation and Collections concepts with the Fundamentals of Java and Java Collections Course at a student-friendly price and become industry ready. To complete your preparation from learning a language to DS Algo and many more, please refer Complete Interview Preparation Course.