Java Program to Convert Date to TimeStamp
We can convert date to timestamp using the Timestamp class which is present in the sql package.
- The constructor of the time-stamp class requires a long value.
- So data needs to be converted into a long value by using the getTime() method of the date class(which is present in the util package).
Input: date is 16 November 2020
Output: 2020-11-16 19:11:24
Explanation: date would be printed along with the current time to milliseconds.
- import the java.sql.Timestamp package.
- import the java.util.Date package
- Create an object of the Date class.
- Convert it to long using getTime() method
public long getTime()
Parameters: The function does not accept any parameter.
Return Value: It returns the number of milliseconds since January 1, 1970, 00:00:00 GTM.
- Create an object of the Timestamp class and pass the value returned by the getTime() method.
- Finally, print this Timestamp object value.
- We can format the Timestamp value using SimpleDateFormat class.
- Initially, by using the Timestamp class, the time is getting displayed in a standard format, but we can format it to our own choice using SimpleDateFormat class.
2020-11-19 04:52:31 2020-11-19 04:52
Attention reader! Don’t stop learning now. Get hold of all the important Java Foundation and Collections concepts with the Fundamentals of Java and Java Collections Course at a student-friendly price and become industry ready. To complete your preparation from learning a language to DS Algo and many more, please refer Complete Interview Preparation Course.