Given a sequence, find the length of the longest palindromic subsequence in it.
As another example, if the given sequence is “BBABCBCAB”, then the output should be 7 as “BABCBAB” is the longest palindromic subseuqnce in it. “BBBBB” and “BBCBB” are also palindromic subsequences of the given sequence, but not the longest ones.
1) Optimal Substructure:
Let X[0..n-1] be the input sequence of length n and L(0, n-1) be the length of the longest palindromic subsequence of X[0..n-1].
If last and first characters of X are same, then L(0, n-1) = L(1, n-2) + 2.
Else L(0, n-1) = MAX (L(1, n-1), L(0, n-2)).
Following is a general recursive solution with all cases handled.
The length of the LPS is 5
Dynamic Programming Solution
The lnegth of the lps is 5
Please refer complete article on Longest Palindromic Subsequence | DP-12 for more details!
- LongStream.Builder build() in Java
- DoubleStream.Builder build() in Java
- Java 8 | Consumer Interface in Java with Examples
- MouseListener and MouseMotionListener in Java
- Java Program for Selection Sort
- Java Program for Bubble Sort
- Java Program for Insertion Sort
- Java Program for Heap Sort
- Java Program for Radix Sort
- Java Program for n-th Fibonacci numbers
- Java Program for Counting Sort
- Java Program for ShellSort
- Java Program for Longest Common Subsequence
- Java Program for Binary Search (Recursive and Iterative)
- Java Program 0-1 Knapsack Problem