An IP(Internet Protocol) address is an identifier assigned to each computer and other device(e.g., router, mobile, etc) connected to a TCP/IP network that is used to locate and identify the node in communication with other nodes on the network. IP addresses are usually written and displayed in human-readable notation such as 192.168.1.35 in IPv4(32-bit IP address).
An IP address serves two principle functions : host or network interface identification and local addressing. It’s role has been characterized as follows : “A name indicate what we seek. An address indicate where it is. A route indicate how to get there.”
InetAddress.getLocalHost() is used to find private IP address used in LAN or any other local network.
To find public IP, we use http://bot.whatismyipaddress.com (An online utility to find your public IP), we open the URL, read a line and print the line.
Below is Java implementation of above steps.
System IP Address : 10.0.8.204 Public IP Address : 188.8.131.52
Note : The above output is for machine that is used by GeeksforGeeks online compiler, ide.geeksforgeeks.org
This article is contributed by Pramod Kumar. If you like GeeksforGeeks and would like to contribute, you can also write an article using contribute.geeksforgeeks.org or mail your article to firstname.lastname@example.org. See your article appearing on the GeeksforGeeks main page and help other Geeks.
Please write comments if you find anything incorrect, or you want to share more information about the topic discussed above.
- Multi-threaded chat Application in Java | Set 1 (Server Side Programming)
- Access and Non Access Modifiers in Java
- Send email using Java Program
- Program to calculate the Round Trip Time (RTT)
- Network configuration and trouble shooting commands in Linux
- Program to determine class, Network and Host ID of an IPv4 address
- How DHCP server dynamically assigns IP address to a host?
- Trim (Remove leading and trailing spaces) a string in Java
- Inheritance in Java
- Generating Password and OTP in Java
- A Group chat application in Java
- Socket Programming in Java
- Networking in Java | Set 1 (Java.net.InetAddress class)
- Commonly Asked Java Programming Interview Questions | Set 1
- Multithreading in Java