Suppose we have given a String in which some ranges as specified and we have to place the numbers which is between the given range in the specified place as given in the example:
Input : string x = "1-5, 8, 11-14, 18, 20, 26-29" Output : string y = "1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 8, 11, 12, 13, 14, 18, 20, 26, 27, 28, 29"
Approach: To solve the above problem, we can follow the below approach:
- First we have to split the String into String array. We have to split the String where we found – symbol.
- Now we have String array with the elements. Now we just go to the first index last element i.e. 1 and preceding index first element of the String array i.e. 5 .
- After that by the help of for loop we can add the numbers which is between 1 and 5 and store it in the String variable.
- The above process continue til the length of String array.
NOTE: By the help of Collections and various utility methods we can solve the problem easily but Collections concept is not good option performance wise. If we go through Collections, performance is reduced and time complexity is also increased.There in the below program we explicitly define our own split method and logic.
1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 8, 11, 12, 13, 14, 18, 20, 26, 27, 28, 29
- Java Program to get a character from a String
- Program to convert IntStream to String in Java
- Program to convert set of String to set of Integer in Java
- Program to Convert Set of Integer to Set of String in Java
- Program to convert String to IntStream in Java
- Java Program to print distinct permutations of a string
- Java program to count the occurrence of each character in a string using Hashmap
- Program to convert List of String to List of Integer in Java
- Program to convert List of Integer to List of String in Java
- Number of times the given string occurs in the array in the range [l, r]
- Lexicographically largest string formed from the characters in range L and R
- Arrange a binary string to get maximum value within a range of indices
- Program to print all palindromes in a given range
- Convert a List of String to a comma separated String in Java
- LongStream range() in Java
If you like GeeksforGeeks and would like to contribute, you can also write an article using contribute.geeksforgeeks.org or mail your article to firstname.lastname@example.org. See your article appearing on the GeeksforGeeks main page and help other Geeks.
Please Improve this article if you find anything incorrect by clicking on the "Improve Article" button below.