Math class provides mathematical functions to preform basic numeric operations such as exponential, logarithm, square root, and trigonometric functions. cosh, sin, tan, abs, bitLength, multiply and many more. Implementations of the functions of Math class do not return bit-for-bit same results. Hence, perform better implementations.
public final class Math extends Object
- signum() : java.math.signum() method returns the signum value of the argument passed.
-1 if x < 0 signum fun(x) = 0 if x = 0 1 if x > 0
- Result is NaN, if passed the argument is NaN.;
public static double signum(double x) or public static float signum(float x) Parameters: x - the argument whose signum value we need Returns: signum value of x
- round() : java.math.round() method round off the passed argument upto closest decimal places.
Note: Result is 0, if the argument is NaN.
public static long round(long arg) or public static double round(double arg) Parameters: arg - argument needs to round off Returns: round off value of the argument
- max() : java.math.max(double v1, double v2) method returns the greater value out of the two passed argument values.
This method just compares using magnitude without considering any sign.
public static double max(double v1, double v2) Parameters: v1 - first value v2 - second value Returns: v1 or v2 based on which number is greater. It can return either of the two if v1 = v2.
Java code explaining signum(), round(), max() method in Math class.
Signum of 10.45 = 1.0 Signum of -23.34 = -1.0 Round off 10.4556 = 10.0 Round off 23.34789 = -23.0 Max b/w r1 and r2 = -23.0
- log1p() : java.math.log1p() method returns natural log of (passed argument + 1).
public static double log1p(double arg) Parameters: arg - the argument Returns: log of (argument + 1). This result is within 1 unit in the last place of exact result.
- ulp() : java.math.ulp() method returns Unit of least precision(ulp) ie. the least distance between two floating point numbers.
Here, it is the least distance b/w the argument and next larger value.
public static double ulp(double arg) or public static float ulp(float arg) Parameters: arg - argument passed. Returns: least distance b/w the argument and next larger value.
Java code explaining ulp(), log1p() method in Math class.
ulp of 34.652 : 7.105427357601002E-15 ulp of -23.34789 : 3.552713678800501E-15 Log of (1 + 99) : 4.605170185988092 Log of 100 : 4.605170185988092
This article is contributed by Mohit Gupta. If you like GeeksforGeeks and would like to contribute, you can also write an article using contribute.geeksforgeeks.org or mail your article to email@example.com. See your article appearing on the GeeksforGeeks main page and help other Geeks.
Please write comments if you find anything incorrect, or you want to share more information about the topic discussed above.
Attention reader! Don’t stop learning now. Get hold of all the important DSA concepts with the DSA Self Paced Course at a student-friendly price and become industry ready.
- Java.io.OutputStreamWriter Class methods
- java.math class and its methods | Set 3
- Java.lang.Integer class and its methods
- Math class methods in Java with Examples | Set 2
- java.lang.Boolean class methods
- java.lang.Character class - methods | Set 2
- BitSet class methods in Java with Examples | Set 3
- java.lang.Character class methods | Set 1
- getproperty() and getproperties() methods of System Class in Java
- util.date class methods in Java with Examples
- isAlive() and join() methods of Thread Class in Java
- HashMap Class Methods in Java with Examples | Set 1 (put(), get(), isEmpty() and size())
- Java.util.BitSet class methods in Java with Examples | Set 2
- Java.io.BufferedWriter class methods in Java
- Static methods vs Instance methods in Java
- Inner Class And Anonymous Inner Class that Implements Runnable | Concurrent Programming Approach 3
- Implement Octet Class from Septet Class in Java using JavaTuples
- Implement Quartet Class with Triplet Class in Java using JavaTuples
- Implement Quintet Class with Quartet Class in Java using JavaTuples
- Implement Triplet Class with Pair Class in Java using JavaTuples