Java.lang.ProcessBuilder class in Java
This class is used to create operating system processes. Each ProcessBuilder instance manages a collection of process attributes. The start() method creates a new Process instance with those attributes. The start() method can be invoked repeatedly from the same instance to create new subprocesses with identical or related attributes.
- ProcessBuilder can be used to help create an operating system process.
- Before JDK 5.0, the only way to create a process and execute it was to use Runtime.exec() method.
- It extends the class Object.
- This class is not synchronized.
- ProcessBuilder(List command): This constructs a process builder with the specified operating system program and arguments.
- ProcessBuilder(String… command): This constructs a process builder with the specified operating system program and arguments.
1. List command(): This method returns the process builder’s operating system program and arguments.
Syntax: public List command(). Returns: this process builder's program and its arguments. Exceptions: NullPointerException - if the argument is null.
2. ProcessBuilder command(List command): This method sets the process builder’s operating system program and arguments.
Syntax: public ProcessBuilder command(List command). Returns: NA. Exception: NullPointerException - if the argument is null.
command: [notepad.exe, xyz.txt]
3. ProcessBuilder directory(File directory): This method sets the process builder’s working directory. Subprocesses subsequently started by object’s start() method will use it as their working directory. The argument may be null – which means to use the working directory of the current Java process, usually, the directory named by the system property user.dir, as the working directory of the child process.
Syntax: public ProcessBuilder directory(File directory). Returns: this process builder. Exception: NA.
4. Map environment(): This method returns a string map view of the process builder’s environment. Whenever a process builder is created, the environment is initialized to a copy of the current process environment. Subprocesses subsequently started by the object’s start() method will use this map as their environment.
Syntax: public Map environment() Returns: this process builder's environment Exception: SecurityException - if a security manager exists and its checkPermission method doesn't allow access to the process environment.
Key = PATH, Value = /usr/bin:/bin:/usr/sbin:/sbin Key = JAVA_MAIN_CLASS_14267, Value = ProcessBuilderDemo Key = J2D_PIXMAPS, Value = shared Key = SHELL, Value = /bin/bash Key = JAVA_MAIN_CLASS_11858, Value = org.netbeans.Main Key = USER, Value = abhishekverma Key = TMPDIR, Value = /var/folders/9z/p63ysmfd797clc0468vvy4980000gn/T/ Key = SSH_AUTH_SOCK, Value = /private/tmp/com.apple.launchd.uWvCfYQWBP/Listeners Key = XPC_FLAGS, Value = 0x0 Key = LD_LIBRARY_PATH, Value = /Library/Java/JavaVirtualMachines /jdk1.8.0_121.jdk/Contents/Home/jre/lib/ amd64:/Library/Java/JavaVirtualMachines/jdk1.8.0_121.jdk /Contents/Home/jre/lib/i386: Key = __CF_USER_TEXT_ENCODING, Value = 0x1F5:0x0:0x0 Key = Apple_PubSub_Socket_Render, Value = /private/tmp/com.apple.launchd.weuNq4pAfF/Render Key = LOGNAME, Value = abhishekverma Key = LC_CTYPE, Value = UTF-8 Key = XPC_SERVICE_NAME, Value = 0 Key = PWD, Value = / Key = SHLVL, Value = 1 Key = HOME, Value = /Users/abhishekverma Key = _, Value = /Library/Java/JavaVirtualMachines/ jdk1.8.0_121.jdk/Contents/Home/bin/java
Understanding the above output: The output is the map view of the subprocess build upon. The above output varies from user to user totally depends upon the operating system and user.
5. boolean redirectErrorStream(): This method tells whether the process builder merges standard error and standard output. If this property is true, then any error output generated by subprocesses subsequently started by the object’s start() method will be merged with the standard output, so that both can be read using the Process.getInputStream() method. It makes it easier to correlate error messages with the corresponding output. The initial value is false.
Syntax: public boolean redirectErrorStream(). Returns: this process builder's redirectErrorStream property. Exception: NA.
6. ProcessBuilder redirectErrorStream(boolean redirectErrorStream): This method sets this process builder’s redirectErrorStream property. If this property is true, then any error output generated by subprocesses subsequently started by this object’s start() method will be merged with the standard output so that both can be read using the Process.getInputStream() method. This makes it easier to correlate error messages with the corresponding output. The initial value is false.
Syntax: public ProcessBuilder redirectErrorStream(boolean redirectErrorStream). Returns: this process builder. Exception: NA.
Process start(): This method starts a new process using the attributes of the process builder. The new process will invoke the command and arguments given by command(), in a working directory as given by directory(), with a process environment as given by environment(). This method checks that the command is a valid operating system command. Which commands are valid is system-dependent, but at the very least the command must be a non-empty list of non-null strings. If there is a security manager, its checkExec method is called with the first component of this object’s command array as its argument. It may result in a SecurityException being thrown.
Syntax: public Process start(). Returns: a new Process object for managing the subprocess. Exception: NullPointerException - If an element of the command list is null IndexOutOfBoundsException - If the command is an empty list (has size 0). SecurityException - If a security manager exists and its checkExec method doesn't allow creation of the subprocess. IOException - If an I/O error occurs.
total 0 drwxr-xr-x 10 abhishekverma staff 340 Jun 20 02:24 AndroidStudioProjects drwx------@ 22 abhishekverma staff 748 Jun 20 03:00 Desktop drwx------@ 7 abhishekverma staff 238 Apr 29 22:03 Documents drwx------+ 27 abhishekverma staff 918 Jun 20 03:01 Downloads drwx------@ 65 abhishekverma staff 2210 Jun 18 20:48 Library drwx------+ 3 abhishekverma staff 102 Mar 28 13:08 Movies drwx------+ 4 abhishekverma staff 136 Apr 8 04:51 Music drwxr-xr-x 4 abhishekverma staff 136 Jun 19 15:01 NetBeansProjects drwx------+ 5 abhishekverma staff 170 Apr 10 09:46 Pictures drwxr-xr-x+ 6 abhishekverma staff 204 Jun 18 20:45 Public -rw-r--r-- 1 abhishekverma staff 0 Apr 15 19:23 newreactjs.jsx
ProcessBuilder inheritIO(): Sets the source and destination for subprocess standard I/O to be the same as those of the current Java process.
Syntax: public ProcessBuilder inheritIO(). Returns: this process builder. Exception: NA.
Hello GeeksforGeeks This is ProcessBuilder Example
This article is contributed by Abhishek Verma. If you like GeeksforGeeks and would like to contribute, you can also write an article using write.geeksforgeeks.org or mail your article to email@example.com. See your article appearing on the GeeksforGeeks main page and help other Geeks.
Please write comments if you find anything incorrect, or you want to share more information about the topic discussed above.
Attention reader! Don’t stop learning now. Get hold of all the important Java Foundation and Collections concepts with the Fundamentals of Java and Java Collections Course at a student-friendly price and become industry ready. To complete your preparation from learning a language to DS Algo and many more, please refer Complete Interview Preparation Course.