Abstract class for reading filtered character streams. The abstract class FilterReader itself provides default methods that pass all requests to the contained stream. Subclasses of FilterReader should override some of these methods and may also provide additional methods and fields.
- protected FilterReader(Reader in) : Creates a new filtered reader.
- void close() : Closes the stream and releases any system resources associated with it.Once the stream has been closed, further read(), ready(), mark(), reset(), or skip() invocations will throw an IOException. Closing a previously closed stream has no effect.
Syntax :public void close() throws IOException Throws: IOException
- void mark(int readAheadLimit) : Marks the present position in the stream.
Syntax :public void mark(int readAheadLimit) throws IOException Parameters: readAheadLimit - Limit on the number of characters that may be read while still preserving the mark. After reading this many characters, attempting to reset the stream may fail. Throws: IOException
- boolean markSupported() : Tells whether this stream supports the mark() operation.
Syntax :public boolean markSupported() Returns: true if and only if this stream supports the mark operation.
- int read() : Reads a single character.
Syntax :public int read() throws IOException Returns: The character read, as an integer in the range 0 to 65535 (0x00-0xffff), or -1 if the end of the stream has been reached Throws: IOException
- int read(char cbuf, int off, int len) : Reads characters into a portion of an array.
Syntax :public int read(char cbuf, int off, int len) throws IOException Parameters: cbuf - Destination buffer off - Offset at which to start storing characters len - Maximum number of characters to read Returns: The number of characters read, or -1 if the end of the stream has been reached Throws: IOException
- boolean ready() : Tells whether this stream is ready to be read.
Syntax :public boolean ready() throws IOException Returns: True if the next read() is guaranteed not to block for input, false otherwise. Note that returning false does not guarantee that the next read will block. Throws: IOException
- void reset() : Resets the stream.
Syntax :public void reset() throws IOException Throws: IOException
- long skip(long n) : Skips characters.
Syntax :public long skip(long n) throws IOException Parameters: n - The number of characters to skip Returns: The number of characters actually skipped Throws: IOException
mark method is supported forGeeksGeeks
This article is contributed by Nishant Sharma. If you like GeeksforGeeks and would like to contribute, you can also write an article using contribute.geeksforgeeks.org or mail your article to email@example.com. See your article appearing on the GeeksforGeeks main page and help other Geeks.
Please write comments if you find anything incorrect, or you want to share more information about the topic discussed above.
Attention reader! Don’t stop learning now. Get hold of all the important DSA concepts with the DSA Self Paced Course at a student-friendly price and become industry ready.
- Implement Ennead Class from Octet Class in Java using JavaTuples
- Implement Octet Class from Septet Class in Java using JavaTuples
- Implement Sextet Class from Quintet Class in Java using JavaTuples
- Implement Decade Class from Ennead Class in Java using JavaTuples
- Implement Septet Class from Sextet Class in Java using JavaTuples
- Implement Quartet Class with Triplet Class in Java using JavaTuples
- Implement Triplet Class with Pair Class in Java using JavaTuples
- Implement Quintet Class with Quartet Class in Java using JavaTuples
- Implement Pair Class with Unit Class in Java using JavaTuples
- Difference between Abstract Class and Concrete Class in Java
- In Java, Can we call the main() method of a class from another class?
- Using predefined class name as Class or Variable name in Java
- Java.lang.Class class in Java | Set 1
- Java.lang.Class class in Java | Set 2
- Java.util.concurrent.RecursiveAction class in Java with Examples
- Java.util.concurrent.Phaser class in Java with Examples
- Java.util.concurrent.RecursiveTask class in Java with Examples
- Java.util.BitSet class methods in Java with Examples | Set 2
- Java.util.BitSet class in Java with Examples | Set 1
- Java.awt.image.RescaleOp Class in Java with Examples