Java 8 | Collectors counting() with Examples
Collectors counting() method is used to count the number of elements passed in the stream as the parameter. It returns a Collector accepting elements of type T that counts the number of input elements. If no elements are present, the result is 0. It is a terminal operation i.e, it may traverse the stream to produce a result or a side-effect. It returns the total count of elements in the stream which reach the collect() method after undergoing various pipelined stream operations such as filtering, reduction etc.
Attention reader! Don’t stop learning now. Get hold of all the important Java Foundation and Collections concepts with the Fundamentals of Java and Java Collections Course at a student-friendly price and become industry ready. To complete your preparation from learning a language to DS Algo and many more, please refer Complete Interview Preparation Course.
public static <T> Collector<T, ?, Long> counting()
where the mentioned terms are as follows:
- Interface Collector<T, A, R>: A mutable reduction operation that accumulates input elements into a mutable result container, optionally transforming the accumulated result into a final representation after all input elements have been processed. Reduction operations can be performed either sequentially or in parallel.
- T: The type of input elements to the reduction operation.
- A: The mutable accumulation type of the reduction operation.
- R: The result type of the reduction operation.
- Long: The Long class wraps a value of the primitive type long in an object. An object of type Long contains a single field whose type is long. In addition, this class provides several methods for converting a long to a String and a String to a long, as well as other constants and methods useful when dealing with a long.
- T: The type of the input elements.
Parameters: This method does not take any parameter.
Return Value: A Collector that counts the input elements. The count is returned as Long object.
Below are examples to illustrate counting() method:
Program 2: When no element is passed as input element.