Prerequisite : Introduction to Iterators
Iterators are used to point at the memory addresses of STL containers. They are primarily used in sequence of numbers, characters etc. They reduce the complexity and execution time of program.
Operations of iterators :-
1. begin() :- This function is used to return the beginning position of the container.
2. end() :- This function is used to return the after end position of the container.
The vector elements are : 1 2 3 4 5
3. advance() :- This function is used to increment the iterator position till the specified number mentioned in its arguments.
The position of iterator after advancing is : 4
4. next() :- This function returns the new iterator that the iterator would point after advancing the positions mentioned in its arguments.
5. prev() :- This function returns the new iterator that the iterator would point after decrementing the positions mentioned in its arguments.
The position of new iterator using next() is : 4 The position of new iterator using prev() is : 3
6. inserter() :- This function is used to insert the elements at any position in the container. It accepts 2 arguments, the container and iterator to position where the elements have to be inserted.
The new vector after inserting elements is : 1 2 3 10 20 30 4 5
Types of Iterators :
This article is contributed by Manjeet Singh .If you like GeeksforGeeks and would like to contribute, you can also write an article using contribute.geeksforgeeks.org or mail your article to firstname.lastname@example.org. See your article appearing on the GeeksforGeeks main page and help other Geeks.
Please write comments if you find anything incorrect, or you want to share more information about the topic discussed above.
GeeksforGeeks has prepared a complete interview preparation course with premium videos, theory, practice problems, TA support and many more features. Please refer Placement 100 for details
- Bidirectional Iterators in C++
- Output Iterators in C++
- Forward Iterators in C++
- Input Iterators in C++
- Introduction to Iterators in C++
- Random-access Iterators in C++
- Difference between Iterators and Pointers in C/C++ with Examples
- Rust vs C++: Will Rust Replace C++ in Future ?
- Priority queue of pairs in C++ with ordering by first and second element
- Implementation of lower_bound() and upper_bound() in Vector of Pairs in C++
- Generating RGBA portable graphic images through C++
- std::basic_istream::ignore in C++ with Examples
- std::basic_istream::getline in C++ with Examples
- Format specifiers in different Programming Languages
Improved By : IkamaruEnauki