We have seen different ways of performing postorder traversal on Binary Trees.
- Post Order Traversal.
- Iterative Postorder Traversal using Two Stacks.
- Iterative Postorder Traversal using One Stack.
Here is another way of performing the postorder traversal on a Binary Tree iteratively using a single stack.
Consider the Below Terminologies:
0 - Left element 1 - Right element 2 - Node element
Following is the detailed algorithm:
Take a Stack and perform the below operations: 1) Insert a pair of the root node as (node, 0). 2) Pop the top element to get the pair (Let a = node and b be the variable) If b is equal to 0: Push another pair as (node, 1) and Push the left child as (node->left, 0) Repeat Step 2 Else If b is equal to 1: Push another pair as (node, 2) and Push right child of node as (node->right, 0) Repeat Step 2 Else If b is equal to 2: Print(node->data) 3) Repeat the above steps while stack is not empty
Consider the Below Binary Tree with just 3 nodes:
1) Push(a, 0) Stack - (a, 0) 2) top = (a, 0) Push(a, 1) Push(b, 0) Stack - (b, 0) (a, 1) 3) top = (b, 0) Push(b, 1) Stack - (b, 1) (a, 1) 4) top = (b, 1) Push(b, 2) Stack - (b, 2) (a, 1) 5) top = (b, 2) print(b) Stack -(a, 1) 6) top = (a, 1) push(a, 2) push(c, 0) Stack - (c, 0) (a, 2) 7) top = (c, 0) push(c, 1) Stack - (c, 1) (a, 2) 8) top = (c, 1) push(c, 2) Stack - (c, 2) (a, 2) 9) top = (c, 2) print(c) Stack - (a, 2) 10) top = (a, 2) print(a) Stack - empty()
Below is the implementation of the above approach:
4 5 2 3 1
Attention reader! Don’t stop learning now. Get hold of all the important DSA concepts with the DSA Self Paced Course at a student-friendly price and become industry ready.
- Iterative Postorder Traversal of N-ary Tree
- Iterative Postorder Traversal | Set 2 (Using One Stack)
- Iterative Postorder Traversal | Set 1 (Using Two Stacks)
- Find postorder traversal of BST from preorder traversal
- Construct a BST from given postorder traversal using Stack
- Print Postorder traversal from given Inorder and Preorder traversals
- Find n-th node in Postorder traversal of a Binary Tree
- Postorder traversal of Binary Tree without recursion and without stack
- Find parent of given node in a Binary Tree with given postorder traversal
- Iterative Preorder Traversal
- Iterative Depth First Traversal of Graph
- Iterative Preorder Traversal of an N-ary Tree
- Iterative diagonal traversal of binary tree
- Iterative Boundary Traversal of Complete Binary tree
- Check if a binary tree is subtree of another binary tree using preorder traversal : Iterative
- Level order traversal of Binary Tree using Morris Traversal
- Preorder from Inorder and Postorder traversals
- Tree Traversals (Inorder, Preorder and Postorder)
- Postorder successor of a Node in Binary Tree
- Construct a Binary Search Tree from given postorder
If you like GeeksforGeeks and would like to contribute, you can also write an article using contribute.geeksforgeeks.org or mail your article to firstname.lastname@example.org. See your article appearing on the GeeksforGeeks main page and help other Geeks.
Please Improve this article if you find anything incorrect by clicking on the "Improve Article" button below.