Dictionary in Python is an unordered collection of data values, used to store data values like a map, which unlike other Data Types that hold only single value as an element, Dictionary holds
There are multiple ways to iterate over a dictionary in Python.
- Iterate through all keys
- Iterate through all values
- Iterate through all key, value pairs
Iterate through all keys:
The order of states in the below code will change every time because the dictionary doesn’t store keys in a particular order.
List Of given states: Rajasthan Bihar Maharashtra Gujarat
In order to maintain the order of keys and values in a dictionary, use OrderedDict.
List Of given states: Gujarat Maharashtra Rajasthan Bihar
Above dictionary is an OrderedDict as the keys and values are stored in the order in which they were defined in the dictionary. Hence the above method should be used when we want to maintain the order of (key, value) stored in the dictionary.
Iterate through all values:
Again, in this case, the order in which the capitals are printed in the below code will change every time because the dictionary doesn’t store them in a particular order.
List Of given capitals: Gandhinagar Jaipur Mumbai Patna
Iterate through all key, value pairs:
List Of given states and their capitals: Bihar : Patna Gujarat : Gandhinagar Rajasthan : Jaipur Maharashtra : Mumbai
- Python | Iterate through value lists dictionary
- Iterate over a set in Python
- Iterate over a list in Python
- Iterate over words of a String in Python
- Iterate over characters of a string in Python
- Python Iterate over multiple lists simultaneously
- Python | Ways to iterate tuple list of lists
- Python | Convert nested dictionary into flattened dictionary
- Python - Filter dictionary values in heterogenous dictionary
- Python | Convert flattened dictionary into nested dictionary
- Regular Dictionary vs Ordered Dictionary in Python
- Python | Convert string dictionary to dictionary
- Python | Dictionary initialization with common dictionary
- Python | Pretty Print a dictionary with dictionary value
- Python - Update dictionary with other dictionary