Computer Design is the structure in which components relate to each other. The designer deals with a particular level of system at a time and there are different types of issues at different levels. At each level, the designer is concerned with the structure and function. Structure is the skeleton of the various components related with each other for the communication. Function is the activities involved in the system.
Following are the issues in computer design:
- Assumption of infinite speed:
It can’t be assumed infinite speed of computer as it is not practical to assume the infinite speed. It creates problem in designer’s thinking as well.
- Assumption of infinite Memory:
Like speed of the computer, memory also can’t be assumed infinite. Storage is always finite and this is a issue in computer design.
3. Speed mismatch between memory and processor:
Sometimes it is possible that the speed of memory and processor does not match. It may be memory speed is faster or processor speed is faster. Mismatch between memory and processor leads to create problem in designing.
4. Handling of bugs and errors:
Handling of bugs and errors are huge responsibility of any computer designer. Bugs and errors lead to the failure of computer system. Sometimes these errors may be more dangerous.
5. Multiple processors:
Designing a computer system with multiple processors leads to the huge task of management and programming. It is big issue in computer designing.
6. Multiple threads:
A computer system with multiple threads are always threats to the designer. A computer with several threads should be able for multi-tasking and multi-processing.
7. Shared memory:
If there are several processes to be executed at a time then all the processes share the same memory space. It should be managed in specific way so that collision does not happen.
8. Disk access:
Disk management is the key for computer design. There are several issues in disk accessing. It may be possible that system does not support multiple disk accessing.
9. Better performance:
It is always a issue. Designer always tries to simplify the system for better performance in reduces power and less cost.
Attention reader! Don’t stop learning now. Get hold of all the important CS Theory concepts for SDE interviews with the CS Theory Course at a student-friendly price and become industry ready.My Personal Notes arrow_drop_up
- Computer Organization | Basic Computer Instructions
- Computer Organization | Performance of Computer
- Differences between Computer Architecture and Computer Organization
- Introduction of Control Unit and its Design
- Memory Hierarchy Design and its Characteristics
- Cache Memory Design
- System Bus Design
- Concept of Cache Memory Design
- Cache Memory in Computer Organization
- Computer Arithmetic | Set - 1
- Computer Arithmetic | Set - 2
- Computer Organization and Architecture | Pipelining | Set 1 (Execution, Stages and Throughput)
- Computer Organization and Architecture | Pipelining | Set 3 (Types and Stalling)
- Computer Organization and Architecture | Pipelining | Set 2 (Dependencies and Data Hazard)
- Computer Organization | Amdahl's law and its proof
- Computer Organization | Hardwired v/s Micro-programmed Control Unit
- Computer Architecture | Flynn's taxonomy
- Clusters In Computer Organisation
- Generations of Computer
- Simplified Instructional Computer (SIC)
If you like GeeksforGeeks and would like to contribute, you can also write an article using contribute.geeksforgeeks.org or mail your article to firstname.lastname@example.org. See your article appearing on the GeeksforGeeks main page and help other Geeks.
Please Improve this article if you find anything incorrect by clicking on the "Improve Article" button below.