In C++, isspace is a predefined function used for string and character handling.cstring is the header file required for string functions and cctype is the headerfile required for character functions.
This function is used to check if the argument contains any whitespace characters.
There are many types of whitespace characters in c++ such as-
- ‘ ‘ – Space
- ‘\t’ – Horizontal tab
- ‘\n’ – Newline
- ‘\v’ – Vertical tab
- ‘\f’ – Feed
- ‘\r’ – Carriage return
Syntax : int isspace(int x) x : x is character to be checked
Given a string, we need to count the number of whitespace characters in the string using isspace() function.
Input : string = 'Geeks for geeks' Output : 2 Input :string = 'My name is Ayush' Output : 3
Entered character is space
Application: isspace() function is used to find number of spaces in a given sentence.
Input : This is a good website Output : Number of spaces in the sentence is : 4 Input : heyy this is geeksforgeeks Output : Number of spaces in the sentence is : 3 Input : hello how can I help you Output : Number of spaces in the sentence is : 5
1. Traverse the given string character by character upto its length, check if character is a whitespace character.
2. If it is a whitespace character, increment the counter by 1, else traverse to the next character.
3. Print the value of the counter.
Number of spaces in the sentence is : 2
This article is contributed by Ayush Saxena and Kanchan Ray. If you like GeeksforGeeks and would like to contribute, you can also write an article using contribute.geeksforgeeks.org or mail your article to email@example.com. See your article appearing on the GeeksforGeeks main page and help other Geeks.
Please write comments if you find anything incorrect, or you want to share more information about the topic discussed above.
Attention reader! Don’t stop learning now. Get hold of all the important DSA concepts with the DSA Self Paced Course at a student-friendly price and become industry ready.
- iscntrl() in C++ and its application to find control characters
- C++ bitset and its application
- unordered_multimap and its application
- is_permutation() in C++ and its application for anagram search
- isupper() and islower() and their application in C++
- fesetround() and fegetround() in C++ and their application
- Understanding ShellExecute function and it's application to open a list of URLs present in a file using C++ code
- Chat application between two processes using signals and shared memory
- Replace each node with its Surpasser Count in Linked List
- Full screen OpenCV / GtK application in C++ running on Raspberry PI
- Synchronous Chatting Application using C++ boost::asio
- C Program to count the Number of Characters in a File
- unordered_multiset and its uses
- C++ string class and its applications
- C++ String Class and its Applications | Set 2
- stringstream in C++ and its applications
- strchr() function in C++ and its applications
- MakeFile in C++ and its applications
- Find sum of a number and its maximum prime factor
- Macros and its types in C/C++
Improved By : ManasChhabra2