IrDA(Infrared Data Association) is one type of personal communication area network which is deployed in infrared rays.
- The data transfer takes place between a laptop(computer) and a Mobile when both come into vicinity and line-of-sight of the IR receivers and detectors in each of them.
- To Send a document from a notebook computer to a printer.
- By Exchanging business cards which are handheld by the PCs.
- This provides the flexibility for coordinating schedules and telephone books with a desktop and notebook computers.
- Point to shoot communication from peer to peer is a main characteristic for this protocol.
IrDA Protocol Layers:
There are different IrDA protocol layers are there
- Application Layer
- Session Layer
- Physical Layer
- In this application layer protocol security plays a vital role.
- Sync(PIM), Object Push(PIM) or Binary File Transfer are the functions provided by this layer.
IrOBEX , IrLAN , IrBus , IrMC , TrTran , IrComm are present in this layer to perform different tasks.
- Segmentation and reassembly takes place in this layer .
- It provides connection to IrLMP.
- It multiplexes multiple applications data as well as exclusive link access.
- It provides an Ad-hoc connection between peers.
- This layer has an ability for accessing half duplex or alternating directions duplex access.
- It provides a value 1 m or 10 cm(For low power LED).
- Different Modes: Synchronous PPM, Synchronous Serial ,Asynchronous Serial
Session and Transport IrDA Protocol:
- For infrared LAN access IrLAN is used.
- For accessing the serial bus by joysticks, keyboard, mice and game ports IrBUS is used.
- In this protocol IrMC provides mobile communication and telephony protocol.
- IrTran is a transport protocol for image file transfers.
- IrComm protocol is used by emulating serial(Ex. RS232CCOM) or parallel port.