IrDA(Infrared Data Association) is one type of personal communication area network which is deployed in infrared rays.
- The data transfer takes place between a laptop(computer) and a Mobile when both come into vicinity and line-of-sight of the IR receivers and detectors in each of them.
- To Send a document from a notebook computer to a printer.
- By Exchanging business cards which are handheld by the PCs.
- This provides the flexibility for coordinating schedules and telephone books with a desktop and notebook computers.
- Point to shoot communication from peer to peer is a main characteristic for this protocol.
IrDA Protocol Layers:
There are different IrDA protocol layers are there
- Application Layer
- Session Layer
- Physical Layer
- In this application layer protocol security plays a vital role.
- Sync(PIM), Object Push(PIM) or Binary File Transfer are the functions provided by this layer.
IrOBEX , IrLAN , IrBus , IrMC , TrTran , IrComm are present in this layer to perform different tasks.
- Segmentation and reassembly takes place in this layer .
- It provides connection to IrLMP.
- It multiplexes multiple applications data as well as exclusive link access.
- It provides an Ad-hoc connection between peers.
- This layer has an ability for accessing half duplex or alternating directions duplex access.
- It provides a value 1 m or 10 cm(For low power LED).
- Different Modes: Synchronous PPM, Synchronous Serial ,Asynchronous Serial
Session and Transport IrDA Protocol:
- For infrared LAN access IrLAN is used.
- For accessing the serial bus by joysticks, keyboard, mice and game ports IrBUS is used.
- In this protocol IrMC provides mobile communication and telephony protocol.
- IrTran is a transport protocol for image file transfers.
- IrComm protocol is used by emulating serial(Ex. RS232CCOM) or parallel port.
Attention reader! Don’t stop learning now. Get hold of all the important CS Theory concepts for SDE interviews with the CS Theory Course at a student-friendly price and become industry ready.