Introduction to Tailwind CSS
Tailwind CSS can be used to make websites in the fastest and the easiest way.
Tailwind CSS is basically a utility-first CSS framework for rapidly building custom user interfaces. It is a highly customizable, low-level CSS framework that gives you all of the building blocks you need to build bespoke designs without any annoying opinionated styles you have to fight to override.
The beauty of this thing called tailwind is it doesn’t impose design specification or how your site should look like, you simply bring tiny components together to construct a user interface that is unique. What Tailwind simply does is take a ‘raw’ CSS file, processes this CSS file over a configuration file, and produces an output.
Why Tailwind CSS?
- Faster UI building process
- It is a utility-first CSS framework which means we can use utility classes to build custom designs without writing CSS as in traditional approach.
Advantages of Tailwind CSS:
- No more silly names for CSS classes and Id’s.
- Minimum lines of Code in CSS file.
- We can customize the designs to make the components.
- Makes the website responsive.
- Makes the changes in the desired manner.
CSS is global in nature and if make changes in the file the property is changed in all the HTML files linked to it. But with the help of Tailwind CSS we can use utility classes and make local changes.
Method 1: Install Tailwind via npm
- Step 1:npm init -y
- Step 2:npm install tailwindcss
- Step 3:Use the @tailwind directive to inject Tailwind’s base, components, and utilities styles into your CSS file.
- Step 4:npx tailwindcss init
This is used to create a config file to customize the designs. It is an optional step.
- Step 5:npx tailwindcss build styles.css -o output.css
This command is used to compile style.css is the file which has to be compiled and output.css is the file on which it has to be compiled.If the file output.css is not created earlier then it will automatically created.
Method 2: Using Tailwind via CDN
But there are some limitations when CDN is used. Some of them are:
- Customize Tailwind’s default theme can’t be used
- Directives like @apply, @variants, etc can’t be used
- Can’t install third-party plugins
- Google Chrome
- Microsoft Edge
Attention reader! Don’t stop learning now. Get hold of all the important HTML concepts with the Web Design for Beginners | HTML course.