SMB protocol was designed by the Microsoft for direct file sharing on the local area network.
- The set of message packets which defines the version of the protocol called SMB dialect.
- It’s a client-server model which is not limited to the file sharing but can also be used for sharing devices printers, serial printers and other resources available on local area network.
- SMB service works on the well-defined port on 445 over the TCP/IP stack.
- The set of messages called the dialect implements CIFS which is Common Internet File System.
- Some functionalities of SMB protocol are included in it like network browsing, printing over a LAN, directory access.
In case of lower level protocol for support, SMB uses NetBIOS which is Network Basic Input/Output System. This was designed by the IBM that allows applications running on a different computer system to communicate with a LAN which is a base of SMB protocol. NetBIOS API can rely on Layer 3 protocol like UDP port 137 and 138.
Software Application for Implementation of SMB Protocol :
The open-source software called SAMBA that can run best on UNIX environment and able to communicate with Microsoft Window’s Clients so that SAMBA is able to provide the sharing service by employing this common internet file system. In general words, SAMBA server allows resource sharing between a system running Microsoft OS and systems running UNIX.
SAMBA INSTALLATION / CONFIGURATION
sudo apt update sudo apt install samba
Now check the location of the installed files
Now create directory in home/
Now Configure the SAMBA Files
Add the given below content in /etc/samba/samba.conf
[sambashare] path=(Directory Path) readonly = no browsable = yes
Restart the smbd daemon by
sudo samba daemon smbd sudo service smbd restart
NFS System: Network File Sharing System
More specific to LINUX/UNIX environment, there is an application layer protocol called NFS which provides a file sharing solution in cross-platform environment.
Some ways in which we can use NFS are
- Migrating applications from one operating system to another by storing the data on shares accessible through both as a main NFS protocol.
- Some famous applications like TeamViewer, ShareIT and many other uses this protocol from remote access and remote file sharing.
References: Microsoft SMB Protocol and CIFS Protocol
- Computer Network | Multiplexing (Channel Sharing)
- Introduction to Convolution Neural Network
- Virtual Private Network (VPN) | An Introduction
- Introduction to Recurrent Neural Network
- Introduction to Hadoop Distributed File System(HDFS)
- Cross Origin Resource Sharing (CORS)
- Saving a file in Git
- CSV file management using C++
- How to include one CSS file in another?
- File Allocation Methods
- Junk File Organizer in Python
- Automating File Movement on your system
- Reading a CSV file in Java using OpenCV
- How to play an Audio file using Java
- The Application Manifest File | Android
If you like GeeksforGeeks and would like to contribute, you can also write an article using contribute.geeksforgeeks.org or mail your article to firstname.lastname@example.org. See your article appearing on the GeeksforGeeks main page and help other Geeks.
Please Improve this article if you find anything incorrect by clicking on the "Improve Article" button below.