Data is a collection of facts and figures and we have humungous data available to the users via intetnet and other sources. To manipulate the data, Structured Query Language (SQL) in short has been introduced years ago. There are different versions of SQL available in the market provided by different organizations. In this articles, we shall see the version of SQL provided by Microsoft.
- Microsoft SQL server or MS SQL Server for short is the query language provided for data definition and manipulation.
- SQL Server is a Relational Database Management Systems which was developed and marketed by the Microsoft company.
- SQL and SQL server are built as two layers where SQL server is on the top for interacting with the relational databases.
- MS SQL Server also has T-SQL or Transact-SQL and the main focus of T-SQL is to handle the transactions.
- As it is a Microsoft’s developed system, it worked only on Microsoft’s environment until it was made available on Linux platforms in the year 2016.
SQL server is composed of: Database engine, and Relational engine, and Storage engine. These are explained as following below.
1. Database Engine –
Databases is a collection of various data items on which the user can perform any kind of manipulations.
- The database engine has a relational engine on which a user can perform queries and it also comes with a storage engine which manages the data files, indexes and procedures.
- The database engine also creates and executes objects like triggers, views, procedures etc.
2. Relational Engine –
Relations are the connections between the two different databases or within the same database. It is stored in the form of a row and column intersection named tables.
- It manages the query processing, memory management, buffer management, threads and much more.
- It has another layer named storage engine.
3. Storage Engine –
- It looks upon the storage of data.
- It is done using systems like disks and Storage Area Network or SAN.
Attention reader! Don’t stop learning now. Get hold of all the important CS Theory concepts for SDE interviews with the CS Theory Course at a student-friendly price and become industry ready.