Introduction of Cryptojacking
Cryptojacking is a malware that conceal on a personal computer system, tablets or mobile gadgets and make use of the machine’s asset to “mine” digital currencies called as cryptocurrencies. In simpler words, the unauthorized utilization of another person’s system to obtain cryptocurrencies is known as Cryptojacking. Similar to other security attacks, the objective of cryptojacking is money. This attack is usually done without the knowledge of the person whose system have been compromised. It is also known as malicious crypto-mining.
Working of Cryptojacking:
Hackers can perform cryptojacking primarily in two ways and they are:
- Make the victim to run the code for mining cryptocurrencies in their computers.
- Script injection on a website or an advertisement that can be posted to various websites.
The first method is done similar to phishing. The victims are encouraged to click on a hyperlink shared in an email. On clicking the link, a code is run in background which in turn places the cryptomining script on the target system. As the victim work on the system, unknowingly in background script is also executed.
In the second method, the script automatically run when the victims open the website or as the infected ad pops up.
Distinguishing which computer has been undermined can be troublesome. The following are some of the strategies one can use to identify cryptojacking:
- As they steal CPU processing resources, there will be a decrease in computer performance.
- It can cause computing resources to overheat.
- Regularly monitor your own websites.
- Stay updated regarding latest trends in cryptojacking.
- Scan for malware with the help of security software.
Even though detection of cryptojacking is difficult, the following preventative measures can help us to secure our PC and systems administration frameworks and our own crypto-resources:
- Install strong internet security software.
- Install anti-cryptomining extensions.
- Educate yourself and your IT team about cryptojacking..
- Install ad-blockers
Whether you're preparing for your first job interview or aiming to upskill in this ever-evolving tech landscape, GeeksforGeeks Courses
are your key to success. We provide top-quality content at affordable prices, all geared towards accelerating your growth in a time-bound manner. Join the millions we've already empowered, and we're here to do the same for you. Don't miss out - check it out now!