The quartiles of a ranked set of data values are three points which divide the data into exactly four equal parts, each part comprising of quarter data.
- Q1 is defined as the middle number between the smallest number and the median of the data set.
- Q2 is the median of the data.
- Q3 is the middle value between the median and the highest value of the data set.
The interquartile range IQR tells us the range where the bulk of the values lie. The interquartile range is calculated by subtracting the first quartile from the third quartile. IQR = Q3 - Q1
1. Unlike range, IQR tells where the majority of data lies and is thus preferred over range.
2. IQR can be used to identify outliers in a data set.
3. Gives the central tendency of the data.
Input : 1, 19, 7, 6, 5, 9, 12, 27, 18, 2, 15 Output : 13 The data set after being sorted is 1, 2, 5, 6, 7, 9, 12, 15, 18, 19, 27 As mentioned above Q2 is the median of the data. Hence Q2 = 9 Q1 is the median of lower half, taking Q2 as pivot. So Q1 = 5 Q3 is the median of upper half talking Q2 as pivot. So Q3 = 18 Therefore IQR for given data=Q3-Q1=18-5=13 Input : 1, 3, 4, 5, 5, 6, 7, 11 Output : 3
This article is contributed by Vineet Joshi. If you like GeeksforGeeks and would like to contribute, you can also write an article using contribute.geeksforgeeks.org or mail your article to email@example.com. See your article appearing on the GeeksforGeeks main page and help other Geeks.
Please write comments if you find anything incorrect, or you want to share more information about the topic discussed above.
- Square Free Number
- Program to find compound interest
- Given a HUGE number check if it's a power of two.
- Secretary Problem (A Optimal Stopping Problem)
- Pierpont Prime
- Break the number into three parts
- Square root of a number using log
- Program to find LCM of two numbers
- Count trailing zeroes in factorial of a number
- Sum of width (max and min diff) of all Subsequences
- Ways of selecting men and women from a group to make a team
- Find subsequences with maximum Bitwise AND and Bitwise OR
- Primality test for the sum of digits at odd places of a number
- Find amount to be added to achieve target ratio in a given mixture
- Count Magic squares in a grid