The quartiles of a ranked set of data values are three points which divide the data into exactly four equal parts, each part comprising of quarter data.
- Q1 is defined as the middle number between the smallest number and the median of the data set.
- Q2 is the median of the data.
- Q3 is the middle value between the median and the highest value of the data set.
The interquartile range IQR tells us the range where the bulk of the values lie. The interquartile range is calculated by subtracting the first quartile from the third quartile. IQR = Q3 - Q1
1. Unlike range, IQR tells where the majority of data lies and is thus preferred over range.
2. IQR can be used to identify outliers in a data set.
3. Gives the central tendency of the data.
Input : 1, 19, 7, 6, 5, 9, 12, 27, 18, 2, 15 Output : 13 The data set after being sorted is 1, 2, 5, 6, 7, 9, 12, 15, 18, 19, 27 As mentioned above Q2 is the median of the data. Hence Q2 = 9 Q1 is the median of lower half, taking Q2 as pivot. So Q1 = 5 Q3 is the median of upper half talking Q2 as pivot. So Q3 = 18 Therefore IQR for given data=Q3-Q1=18-5=13 Input : 1, 3, 4, 5, 5, 6, 7, 11 Output : 3
This article is contributed by Vineet Joshi. If you like GeeksforGeeks and would like to contribute, you can also write an article using contribute.geeksforgeeks.org or mail your article to firstname.lastname@example.org. See your article appearing on the GeeksforGeeks main page and help other Geeks.
Please write comments if you find anything incorrect, or you want to share more information about the topic discussed above.
- Sum of all i such that (2^i + 1) % 3 = 0 where i is in range [1, n]
- Sum of all even numbers in range L and R
- Sum of i * countDigits(i)^2 for all i in range [L, R]
- GCD of elements in a given range
- XOR of all the elements in the given range [L, R]
- Compute (a*b)%c such that (a%c) * (b%c) can be beyond range
- Count Odd and Even numbers in a range from L to R
- Pairs with GCD equal to one in the given range
- Sum of all odd factors of numbers in the range [l, r]
- Check whether XOR of all numbers in a given range is even or odd
- Sum of all the prime numbers in a given range
- Sum of all natural numbers in range L to R
- Sum of all odd natural numbers in range L and R
- Find XOR of numbers from the range [L, R]
- Perfect cubes in a range