The quartiles of a ranked set of data values are three points which divide the data into exactly four equal parts, each part comprising of quarter data.
- Q1 is defined as the middle number between the smallest number and the median of the data set.
- Q2 is the median of the data.
- Q3 is the middle value between the median and the highest value of the data set.
The interquartile range IQR tells us the range where the bulk of the values lie. The interquartile range is calculated by subtracting the first quartile from the third quartile. IQR = Q3 - Q1
1. Unlike range, IQR tells where the majority of data lies and is thus preferred over range.
2. IQR can be used to identify outliers in a data set.
3. Gives the central tendency of the data.
Input : 1, 19, 7, 6, 5, 9, 12, 27, 18, 2, 15 Output : 13 The data set after being sorted is 1, 2, 5, 6, 7, 9, 12, 15, 18, 19, 27 As mentioned above Q2 is the median of the data. Hence Q2 = 9 Q1 is the median of lower half, taking Q2 as pivot. So Q1 = 5 Q3 is the median of upper half talking Q2 as pivot. So Q3 = 18 Therefore IQR for given data=Q3-Q1=18-5=13 Input : 1, 3, 4, 5, 5, 6, 7, 11 Output : 3
This article is contributed by Vineet Joshi. If you like GeeksforGeeks and would like to contribute, you can also write an article using contribute.geeksforgeeks.org or mail your article to firstname.lastname@example.org. See your article appearing on the GeeksforGeeks main page and help other Geeks.
Please write comments if you find anything incorrect, or you want to share more information about the topic discussed above.
Improved By : vt_m
- Pierpont Prime
- Secretary Problem (A Optimal Stopping Problem)
- Given a HUGE number check if it’s a power of two.
- Program to find compound interest
- Number of Permutations such that no Three Terms forms Increasing Subsequence
- Check if the first and last digit of the smallest number forms a prime
- Print all substring of a number without any conversion
- Complement of a number with any base b
- Check if Decimal representation of an Octal number is divisible by 7
- Program to find Nth term in the series 0, 2, 1, 3, 1, 5, 2, 7, 3,…