Internet is the network of computers which connects the whole world together.But, how it actually work at the very low level?
First when we type a url like www.google.com, the browser converts it into a file containing:
- GET /HTTP/1.1 (where GET means we are requesting some data from server and HTTP refers to protocol that we are using, 1.1 refers to version of HTTP request)
- Host: www.google.com
- And some other information
Now this file is converted to binary codes by the browser and send to the wires if we are connected through Ethernet and if we are using WiFi, it first converts to radio signal which is decoded by router and in the low level. It is converted to binary and sent to servers.
This information or simply binary codes goto the destination and respond is received by the sender only because of IP address.
One router send the information to another and this keep on going until the binary codes reaches the destination.
Now the server receives the binary code and decode it and send the response in following manner:
- HTTP/1.1 200 ok (where 200 ok is the status)
- Body of page
Now this is converted back to binary by the server and sent to the IP address that is requesting it. Once this codes are received by the client, the browser again decode the information in following way:
- First it checks the status
- It starts reading the document from html tag and constructs Tree like structure.
- The html tree is then converted to corresponding binary code and rendered on the screen.
- In the end we see the website front-end.
Below is the tree structure of html document:
The following diagram show the whole process:
To understand the basic web terminology refer: The Internet and the Web
- The Internet and the Web
- The New Internet | Internet of Everything
- What’s difference between The Internet and The Web ?
- Internet Protocol v6 | IPv6
- Computer Network | Voice over Internet Protocol (VoIP)
- Program to remotely Power On a PC over the internet using the Wake-on-LAN protocol.
- Computer Network | Internet Protocol version 6 (IPv6) Header
- Internet Control Message Protocol (ICMP) | Computer Networks
- Computer Network | Multipurpose Internet mail extension (MIME)
- Socket Programming in Python
- Socket Programming in Java
- Socket Programming with Multi-threading in Python
- Top 10 Programming Languages of the World – 2019 to begin with…
- Ethical Hacking | Phishing
If you like GeeksforGeeks and would like to contribute, you can also write an article using contribute.geeksforgeeks.org or mail your article to email@example.com. See your article appearing on the GeeksforGeeks main page and help other Geeks.
Please Improve this article if you find anything incorrect by clicking on the "Improve Article" button below.