Interesting Facts about Computer Viruses
A Computer Virus is malicious software or Malware which has capacity to affect computer data, by corrupting or destroying it. When computer virus is executed inside a computer, it replicates itself, modifies other program’s code, and inserts its own code. Viruses have potential to produce unexpected damage to system, like corrupting or destroying software data.
Signs of Computer Viruses :
- Increase in frequency of pop-up windows.
- Sending mass emails from your email account.
- Frequent crashes and hanging of system.
- Unusual degradation in computer performance.
- Unusual activities like password changes.
- Running of unwanted or unknown programs that startup when you turn on your computer.
- Boot sector virus
- Web scripting virus
- Browser hijacker
- Resident virus
- Direct action virus
- File infector virus
- Multipartite virus
- Polymorphic virus
- Macro virus
Here are some facts about Computer Viruses that may amaze you :
- The first polymorphic computer virus was Tequila (1991).
- In March 2005, first smartphone virus named “Commwarrior-A” came to existence.
- Viruses can be written in many programming languages like Assembly language, C language, etc.
- Facebook will pay 500$ to person, who will find a vulnerability in its system.
- In 1990, Symantec launched its first Norton Antivirus.
- Before development of computer networks, many viruses were transferred using floppy disks.
- WinVer 1.4 was first Windows virus, Groove was first .exe file and Farooq Alvi brothers created first boot virus.
- Studies show author of malicious software is typically a male, between 14 and 25 years of age.
- In January 2004, Mydoom virus infected almost a quarter-million computers in a day.
- In January 2007, a worm named “Storm” infected around 50 million computers by October.
- People are unaware that 90% of e-mails contain some type of Malware.
- More than 6000 new computer viruses are created and released every month.
- The most expensive computer virus of all time was MyDoom, it caused 38.5 billion$ of damages.
- In 1990, there were only 50 known computer viruses but now there are more than 48, 000 viruses.
- It is observed that virus writers start by writing codes as children to test programming skills until it reaches dangerous level.
- The most viral computer virus ever is “I love”.
- In spite of having a large number of security programs and security methods, there is not a single anti-virus that can detect and clean all types of viruses.
- In many countries like Germany, Finland it is illegal to write a computer virus program.
- On records, US is at highest risk of being attacked by computer viruses followed by Russia.
- Amazon has faced most phishing attacks followed by Apple and eBay.
- Michelangelo was worst ever MS-DOS virus.
- In 1999, a powerful micro virus is known as “Melissa” forced Microsoft and other big against to shut down their mail system.
- Email malware gets activated only when you click on a malicious link or infected attachment, not by reading emails.
My Personal Notes arrow_drop_up
Please Login to comment...