C++ is a general-purpose, object-oriented programming language. It supports generic programming and low-level memory manipulation. Bjarne Stroustrup (Bell Labs) in 1979, introduced the C-With-Classes, and in 1983 with the C++.
Here are some awesome facts about C++ that may interest you:
1. The name of C++ signifies the evolutionary nature of the changes from C. “++” is the C increment operator.
2. C++ is one of the predominant languages for the development of all kind of technical and commercial software.
3. C++ introduces Object-Oriented Programming, not present in C. Like other things, C++ supports the four primary features of OOP: encapsulation, polymorphism, abstraction, and inheritance.
4. C++ got the OOP features from Simula67 Programming language.
5. A function is the minimum requirement for a C++ program to run.
6. C and C++ invented at same place i.e. at AT&T (American Telephone & Telegraph) bell laboratories, located in U.S.A.
7. Not purely object oriented: We can write C++ code without using classes and it will compile without showing any error message. The language have some extensions over C, that make OOP and generic programming more convenient.
8. Many programming languages are influenced by c++, some of which include C#, Java and even newer versions of C.
9 Concept of reference variables: operator overloading borrowed from Algol 68 programming language.
10.A major reason behind success of C++ is that it supports various programming styles. It is a multiparadigm programming language that not only supports OOP paradigm but also many other paradigms.