- C Language was not called C at the beginning. It has been named as C after passing many stages of evolution. Evolution of C:
ALGO -> BCPL -> B -> Tradition C -> K&R C -> ANSI C -> ANSI/ISO C -> C99.
- It was developed at Bell Laboratories in 1972 by Dennis Ritchie.
- Why it is named as C ? There is no such logic behind the naming of C Language.
It was developed to cover all the inabilities of B language (simplified version of BCPL). So, it was just named C as it is next to B in the English alphabets.
- C is the only programming language that exists for such a long period and still it is widely used.
- Unix was one of the first operating system kernels implemented in a language other than assembly and that was C.
- Previously, C was considered as the high level language but today many programmers consider it as a low level language as it supports only scalar operations.
- C18 is the latest version of C programming Language published in June 2018.
- “? : ” is the only ternary operator in C language.
- “sizeof” is the only operator which is also a keyword.
- In printf() and scanf(), f stands for formatted not function.
- Compiler doesn’t know header file, preprocessor processes these and expands souce code.
- Header file name can be included in 2 ways, (a) Using angular brackets (b) Using double inverted comma.
- Compiler generates assembly code not machine code and then assembler generates the machine code.
- sizeof operator cannot tell us the size of functions because this operator works on compile time and functions loads in memory at run time.
How to learn C?
Learn C from beginning using free online course Fundamentals of Programming with C beginning from 31-st January 2018.
- Py-Facts - 10 interesting facts about Python
- Interesting Facts about C++
- Interesting Facts in C Programming
- C++ bitset interesting facts
- Interesting Facts about DBMS
- 10 Interesting Facts About Computers
- Interesting Facts About Perl
- Some Interesting facts about default arguments in C++
- Interesting Facts About Cloud Computing
- Interesting Facts and Features about AngularJS
- Interesting Facts about Macros and Preprocessors in C
- Interesting facts about switch statement in C
- Interesting facts about data-types and modifiers in C/C++
- Dark Web Analytics and Interesting Facts Behind its Anonymity
- Cool Technology Facts
If you like GeeksforGeeks and would like to contribute, you can also write an article using contribute.geeksforgeeks.org or mail your article to email@example.com. See your article appearing on the GeeksforGeeks main page and help other Geeks.
Please Improve this article if you find anything incorrect by clicking on the "Improve Article" button below.