Installation testing in Software Testing
Prerequisite : Software Testing
Installation testing :
Testing the procedures to achieve an installed software system that can be used are known as installation testing. In this installation testing checking full or partial upgrades and other features install/uninstall processes are included. The installation testing ensures that the software application has been successfully installed with all its inherent features or not. It is also named as implementation testing, mainly it’s done in the end phase.
What are the features of installation testing ?
- Activity based testing
- Executed during operational Acceptance testing
- Preformed by software testing engineers along configuration manager
- Helps in deliver optimum user experience
- Helps in identification and detection of bugs during the installation
- Installation testing is executed during the last stage of STLC
There are challenges faced which sometimes impacts the installation testing process and many times it just get chaotic.
- Numerous validation condition
- Product needs to be tested on different configuration
As the software installation process is validated for many reasons the requirements also varies in different platforms and to less the time consumption the automated workflows are used.
Working of installation testing :
The installation testing is procured from the developers. The company’s development provides the access to install packages as well as the manual. So, from these things the testers basically gets and idea the testable and non-testable components. If there is any difficulty during the process then the developer team is informed. The main objective come under the condition is to make the easiest and simplest manual in order to get the best outcome.
The Goals of installation testing :
The main aim is to ensure there are no blocks that prevents end users from using the software and minimizes its efficiency. The bug and errors are fetched by this. It makes sure that there is no problem faced regarding different platform.
It helps in verifying the proper distribution of the following software to the particular location.
Types of attend types :
- Silent installation
- Attended installation
- Unattended installation
- Network installation
- Clean installation
- Automated installation
Pros of installation testing :
- The first biggest advantage is that it verifies the designs of app and software on basic level of test performance.
- It’s a very crucial part of STLC which helps in maintaining the standard according to that.
- It’s a very quick and handy method to check the version of software
- The greater outputs results of installation testing helps the developer to improve the app or software.
Cons of installation testing :
- Sometimes there is failure caused due to some external factors as well as the bugs in code thus a time taking and tiring process
- The process of execution of test cases is time-consuming especially during installation testing.
- The result or the outcomes entirely depends on the test case driven.
Installation testing is one of the critical aspects of software testing which is skipped result in software malfunction. Overall there is a large scope of install testing which often leads several challenges. A good installation testing results in no issues and hence installation of software takes place and smooth installation generates customers confidence to use the software further.
Attention reader! Don’t stop learning now. Get hold of all the important CS Theory concepts for SDE interviews with the CS Theory Course at a student-friendly price and become industry ready.