Install MongoDB Compass on Windows
MongoDB, the most popular NoSQL database, is an open-source document-oriented database. The term ‘NoSQL’ means ‘non-relational’. It means that MongoDB isn’t based on the table-like relational database structure but provides an altogether different mechanism for storage and retrieval of data. This format of storage is called BSON (similar to JSON format).
MongoDB Compass is a graphical interface to interact with the MongoDB database management system. It comes in handy as it does not require prior knowledge of MongoDB query syntax. But the application of MongoDB Compass is not limited to only visualizing the data but also can be used for query optimization, managing indexes, and validating documents.
Features of MongoDB Compass:
- Easy Querying: It makes querying on the MongoDB Database relatively simple, as no prior knowledge of MongoDB query is required.
- Indexes Visualization: It supports easy visualization of all available MongoDB indexes in the database.
- Effective rulemaking: With the creation of documents, users have all the rights to manage schema validation rules.
- Aggregation Pipeline Builder: It supports the Aggregation of data in data sets by passing documents in collection or view through multiple levels of processing.
- Schema and Structure Analysis: Schema is a very effective way to organize data in JSON format as they provide a lot of methods to apply to the data that can get very specific results. It further speeds up the process of Data Analysis.
Installation on Windows:
- 64-bit version of Microsoft Windows 7 or higher.
- MongoDB 3.6 or higher.
- Microsoft .NET Framework version 4.5 or higher.
Now, let’s look into the installation process of MongoDB Compass locally on a Windows machine. To do so follow the below steps:
Step 1: Firstly go MongoDb website and download MongoDB Compass.
Step 2: Unzip File after downloading.
Step 3: Double click the installer icon.
Step 4: Follow the installation prompts and customize the installation according to your need.
Step 5: At this stage, a prompt will pop which can be used to configure the setting of the MongoDB Compass.
Step 6: After the above step, all installation process is done. now you can work with your databases.
After installation, you will find the MongoDB compass icon on your desktop.
MongoDB shell Commands:
Below is the list of frequently used MongoDB Shell commands with their actions:
- mongo: This command returns information related to the MongoDB shell.
- show dbs: This command returns all available databases in the current MongoDB database.
- use<DATABASE_NAME>: This command is used to select a specific database. If the mentioned database doesn’t exist, mongoDB will create a new database.
- show collections: This command returns all collections in the selected database.
- db.<collection_name>.find(): This command returns the documents in the collection.