Input Output Ports
It the connection point acts as interface between the computer and the external devices like: printer, modem, etc.
Attention reader! Don’t stop learning now. Get hold of all the important CS Theory concepts for SDE interviews with the CS Theory Course at a student-friendly price and become industry ready.
There are two types of ports :
1. Internal Port –
It connects the system’s motherboard to internal devices like hard-disk, CD drive, internal Bluetooth etc.
2. External Port –
It connects the system’s motherboard to internal devices like mouse, printer, USB etc.
Some important types of ports are as per follows :
1. Serial Port :
- Used for external modems and older computer mouse
- Two versions-9pin,25pin
- Data travels at 115 kilobits per second
2. Parallel Port :
- Used for scanners and printers
- 25 pin model
3. Universal Serial Bus (or USB) Port :
- It can connect all kinds of external USB devices such as external hard disk, printer, scanner, mouse, keyboard, etc.
- Data travels at 12 megabits per seconds.
4. Firewire Port :
- Transfers large amount of data at very fast speed.
- Connects camcorders and video equipment to the computer.
- Data travels at 400 to 800 megabits per seconds.
5. Ethernet Port :
- Connects to a network and high speed Internet.
- Data travels at 10 megabits to 1000 megabits per seconds depending upon the network bandwidth.